question for the ladies or anyone for that matter

Jul 26, 2006
Middlesbrough, England
OK After 20 years of struggling to play guitar, I decided to have a go at Bass instead.
I have never had any lessons and struggled and struggled with techniques, styles etc.

As for bass, would I be better learning other peoples songs or should I just experiment and learn and develop my own thing?

I still own my guitars inlcuding my prized Jackson and BC Rich Warlock (before they looked a bit too gothy) Nothing amazing I guess but I do love them.
Might look to learn more guitar whilst learning Bass.

Any tips????

Well I think that bass is harder to learn than guitar, depending on what you're wanting to do with it. Just playing the root notes along with the guitar is easy - but quite frankly, boring. Steve Harris is the reason I started playing bass and he has some insanely hard riffs to play. I would start off learning some easier songs and then build up to some more technical ones. Once you feel more comfortable with your bass, then try and do your own thing. That's what I would say anyway.

Also speaking as a Bassist...I say "HELL YEAH GO FOR IT". Don't be intimidated or let anything overwhelm you. Keep it simple, learn other people's music; something that you really like. What I used to do back when MTV actually showed music videos, was just play along with whatever came on(especially if it was something I didn't like so I could talk shit about it later *lol*). Your own style will develop and come out of that, but more importantly just have fun with it.

Well so far in the band I am in.....we are using the bass to follow the guitar a lot, making it easier for me. Except when the guitarist puts a really gnarly bit in thats quite awkward to play on bass.
What I tend to do is follow the guitar rhythm and play the root notes for most of the time, although the new song "Teesside sucks" has a gnarly bass solo in right near the start which is fast as hell and hurts my hands to play.

So far I havent attempted slap and pop as thats a little too funky for what I want, I have also found I prefer to play with a plectrum than using my fingers, but that could come from using one all the time on guitar.
I started playing on a friends 5 string bass, but the "B" confused the hell out of me, the thickest string should be "E" in my mind. SO I bought a second hand Legacy 4 string....OK it doesnt have active pickups or anything but it has a built in equilizer......so it has 4 pots on it instead of two or three.
Didnt bother with an Amp as I use Guitar port on my PC......And I decided that bass effects were a waste of time for what I want to play. However might be tempted with a Wah at some point in the future.

Also a little tidbit for you as well. By working with the bass you will find your guitar playing will improve as well. Espcially your ability to keep timing in the song and with the longer scale neck when you do pick up the guitar again you will find your speed going up and down the neck has improved. I try to learn all parts of the songs my band plays but my drummer won't let me near his drums.....

Well so far in the band I am in.....we are using the bass to follow the guitar a lot, making it easier for me. Except when the guitarist puts a really gnarly bit in thats quite awkward to play on bass.
What I tend to do is follow the guitar rhythm and play the root notes for most of the time, although the new song "Teesside sucks" has a gnarly bass solo in right near the start which is fast as hell and hurts my hands to play.

So far I havent attempted slap and pop as thats a little too funky for what I want, I have also found I prefer to play with a plectrum than using my fingers, but that could come from using one all the time on guitar.
I started playing on a friends 5 string bass, but the "B" confused the hell out of me, the thickest string should be "E" in my mind. SO I bought a second hand Legacy 4 string....OK it doesnt have active pickups or anything but it has a built in equilizer......so it has 4 pots on it instead of two or three.
Didnt bother with an Amp as I use Guitar port on my PC......And I decided that bass effects were a waste of time for what I want to play. However might be tempted with a Wah at some point in the future.

I like to use a pick most of the time, only because for what I play, it brings a punchness to whichever project I'm working on. I also have a 5 string Music Man Sting Ray, that's good for the Funk/Pop/Rock stuff. My main ax is a '99 4001v63 Rickenbacker Bass (fireglow). Having the 5-string is cool mainly because of that lower B string, you can go lower. I agree, it's a bitch because it does get confusing sometimes...but you get used to it :). I don't use too many effects, but I've always liked the simple Chorus or even a distortion sound sometimes just to add color. It's really about what YOU like, and that makes up your sound and who you are in your approach to Bass. I mean...there's really no rules 'right?. It's about what makes you happy...and keep doing it.

- Craig

It's really about what YOU like, and that makes up your sound and who you are in your approach to Bass.

This is very true. The thought of using a plectrum on a bass fills me with dread! :lol: I'm very much of the Steve Harris school of bass and wouldn't have one anywhere near mine. It just feels so wrong. It's all about the fingers for me. That's just what I'm comfortable with.

Nita - Cliff Burton did awesome things with a bass and a wah pedal. ;)