Question for those who sell/ship guitars

grywolf627

Mar 16, 2006
Houston, TX
How do you go about shipping them? I mean, do you just take it to some place like UPS and let them box it up for you? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

I'm thinking of selling my American Strat Deluxe Plus (1997), with Lace Sensor pickups, locking tuners, locking trem, and ball-bearing/roller nut.

Thanks!

Find a box yourself at guitar center or other music store. Wrap some bubblewrap around the neck in the case, wrap the case in bubblewrap within the box. If there is still room left over in the box, use some packing peanuts. Seal well, and ship with FedEx or UPS. If you have an account you can schedule them to pick it up.

Don't have them pack it; it is a rip-off.

-Joe

Thanks for the quick response. :)

I'm not selling a case with it, because I don't have a case for it. I'll probably just sell it locally on Craig's list. But I was just curious about shipping in case some one around here was maybe interested in it.

Thanks for the quick response. :)

I'm not selling a case with it, because I don't have a case for it. I'll probably just sell it locally on Craig's list. But I was just curious about shipping in case some one around here was maybe interested in it.

I would wrap the guitar in bubble wrap, and then create a makeshift case by enclosing it with cardboard...or use one of those smallish guitar boxes that you can find at a music store. Then I would place that inside a larger box packed tight with packing peanuts.
You might also seal the guitar up in a trash bag or two to protect it from moisture if you want to go the extra mile.

Also, getting a cheap padded gig bag would be an extra precaution, and would sweeten the deal for the buyer (just jack up the price accordingly :D)

Forget the Gigbag, Dude.
Get a cardboard-guitar-box from a local musicstore (at least around here they kiss your feet for taking them). They are padded with styrofoam to protect the neck and the edges of the body. Bubble-wrap FTW. Get some old newspapers and pad every inch of the cardbox until the guitar sits in it really tight - close the box and wrap a lot of tape around it. If you can, find some more cardboard and wrap it around the package. You really can't get any safer.

I heard of guitars shipped in hardcases with broken necks or dongs in the finish because they don't sit in there that tight. I personally would never ship a guitar in a hardcase (except it's a fitted hardcase).