Question to crew about click tracks.

mel_progson

Dec 10, 2006
Oz
I was just thinking about when drummers use click tracks live. I was wondering if many ProgPower drummers use click tracks live. I'm sure some of the crew guys could answer. Some band examples. Just curious. Cheers.

I was actually gonna put something in my thread about it being a possible delicate issue. Apologies Glenn. Consider the thead closed.

Just curious as to why you feel that way Glenn. I honestly think in a live setting its fine for a drummer to use a click track for reference. Just my two cents.
I'm guessing it's in the same realm as drummers that use triggers - some view it as cheating, some think it's fine, but it's ultimately controversial enough that nothing good can come from a promoter revealing who does it and who doesn't.

Why should it be a (delicate) issue if someone uses click track? I don't think we're talking about secrets here, are we? Almost every band who use backing tracks must run click track in drummers ear monitors to keep the band synchronized.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Any external coordination -- with backing tracks, synchronized video, etc. -- is almost certainly gonna require using a click-track.

I remember years ago when Rush was touring for Roll the Bones.....the music was at least 3-4 painful seconds 'off' from the backing video for that title track. I gotta figure Neil wasn't using a click-track. :)

From what I've heard from drummers, its actually harder to play to a click than to just feel it. Its just one more thing to concentrate on. I don't see anything wrong with it. DEFINITELY not cheating. Just taking an extra step in order to sound that much tighter.

From what I've heard from drummers, its actually harder to play to a click than to just feel it. Its just one more thing to concentrate on. I don't see anything wrong with it. DEFINITELY not cheating. Just taking an extra step in order to sound that much tighter.

i completely agree. ive played live about 20 times now. i used a click once and hated it. i dont have problem with people that use it though, just not my thing.

it definitely is easier to just feel it...and god forbid you get a little too into the show yourself while youre drumming and pick the tempo up just a slightest bit, because that irritating click is still going to be playin out of sync with you then and you are forced to re-adjust or have your playing sound like you just dont have an inner sense of timing.

thats my experience with it, lol.

All right, here's a non-musician's question for musicians:

On 80s live albums, the songs tend to be faster than the studio versions. On modern metal albums, the songs tend to be the same tempo.

Were the 80s bands not using a click track and the drummer was getting a little carried away? Or did they intend to play the songs a little faster?

Oh, and personally I don't care who uses a click track, it doesn't sound like "cheating" to me. The only thing I find jarring is when sounds are being piped in that are obviously not being played or sung by the band. Such as a video of Heavenly I saw where they piped in the harmony vocals on the chorus. I much prefer bands to just avoid the backing vocals entirely and let the lead singer carry the load by himself if they can't get the harmonies right live.

Oh, and personally I don't care who uses a click track, it doesn't sound like "cheating" to me. The only thing I find jarring is when sounds are being piped in that are obviously not being played or sung by the band. Such as a video of Heavenly I saw where they piped in the harmony vocals on the chorus. I much prefer bands to just avoid the backing vocals entirely and let the lead singer carry the load by himself if they can't get the harmonies right live.

For sure. I hate it when there's a little intro that the band could play and they don't. I found this the most annoying on Metallica's tour last year off of "This Was Just Your Life" where the beginning of the song wasn't actually being played by the band, when they very easily could have done it.

All right, here's a non-musician's question for musicians:

On 80s live albums, the songs tend to be faster than the studio versions. On modern metal albums, the songs tend to be the same tempo.

Were the 80s bands not using a click track and the drummer was getting a little carried away? Or did they intend to play the songs a little faster?

I think that it probably varies from band to band. But I also think, more often than not, that the 80's bands probably didn't play to a click and maybe just got a little carried away now and then.

I think (and this is just me talking) that drummers now days are more likely to play to a click live rather than bands from the 80's. Not just because of backing tracks but also because there's more focus on being extremely tight live and sounding just like the album.

When me and my friends went to see bands in the 80s, a band playing their repertoire 1:1 as heard on vinyl was considered boring and kind of unprofessional, or happened due lack of decent skill. Good players were expected to add their personal touch to all songs they played live, like with varied and elongated solos etc.

Funnily, today the most complaints raise when a band doesn't sound exactly as on CD... what happened to imagination... :loco:

That's what I used to like. Dokken's Beast From the EAst was a great example. George Lynch was taking longer solos and adding more flair to the songs. Plus a few that were pretty midpaced on the albums, for example Just Got Lucky and Into the Fire, were sped up and sounded more energetic as a result.

I also loved Zakk Wylde's interpretation of classic Ozzy and Black Sabbath songs on Live N' Loud.

Another great thing about 80s live albums is that some bands overproduced their studio albums with weird vocal effects, but live they just sang them straight and it made the songs sound much better. I'm thinking of the Scorpions' Make it Real, which sounds like ass on Animal Magnetism, but gets new life on World Wide Live, where Klaus sings it without the weird vocal effect, AND it gets sped up.