Question to Marcel Coenen

turke

Aug 16, 2003
Dystopia
Hi Marcel,
As i am a great fan of your playing, i will ask you a question. It may seem funny, but i will ask. your answer is important to me.

I am 23 years old. I've started classical guitar at about 17 of age. And I've been playing bass for three years. But I never studied hard. Cause I couldn't find the passion in me to play guitar. Cause, I've never seen somebody play guitar near me until the age of twenty. I've always wanted to be a musician but it never worked out for me. It is a long story. I dont want to waste your time.

My question is, i want to play electric guitar. But i wonder if it is too late for me. Of course i know i will never be able to play in your caliber, but at least, can't i pour the music in my mind to my guitar after this age?
Am I too late ?

Well, im not marcel, but id love to answer you anyway

Its never too late to do anything. I mean sure you might not be able to make it big or anything, but the same goes even for someone whos been playing all their life. If music is something you enjoy and want to pursue even if just as a hobby, then go for it.

Meedleyx10 said:
Well, im not marcel, but id love to answer you anyway

Its never too late to do anything. I mean sure you might not be able to make it big or anything, but the same goes even for someone whos been playing all their life. If music is something you enjoy and want to pursue even if just as a hobby, then go for it.

Yeah I have to agree with him/her.
Well, the thing with me is that I always switch. I recommend you to pick just 1 music instrument! I used to play guitar ages ago, after I played piano for a year. But when I 2 years later found out (classical) guitar wasn't something for me I tried to play flute. I was quite good at it to be honest, but yeah.... headaches :D.
Then I tried to play the drums and I did for 3,5 years. Unfortunately there were some things going on and I had to sell my drumset... pity...

Now I (try to) play the keyboard, but it seems like it doesn't work really well. I miss my drums so much, I wish I could play it once more :( and please, not again in a music store. People begin to look weird at me!

So yeah, if you like to play guitar, just go for it. At least it's better to try playing guitar at your age, than never try to do anything. Maybe you're incredible talented ;) you'll find out.

Thanks for all your answers. In fact i wouldn't change my mind even if you've said "give it up man" :) I've made up my mind years ago.
"Late is better than never".

I think one of the best examples is how Trey Azagthoth, the lead guitarist of Morbid Angel (who I challenge anyone to call talentless) started playing at 18.

mcoenen said:
Well, I guess you are already answered since I totally agree with the previous answers here, just go for it ! As a guitar teacher I can tell you it is never too late to start !

Greets, Marcel

Yep, I'm 37 and getting into it now even !!! Just being able to play a little SOD riffs and Smoke on the water was superb fun for me...I don't expect to become a master player, haha, but just enjoy the sounds my cheap guitar produces !! Wished I picked it up in the 80's though, I spend houres looking to a beatiful burst purple flying-V in a local musicshop back than, but never came to buying it....Maybe I should go out and start looking for such a guitar now...

BTW, heard you played some solo's for the new BTL record, cool !!!

I thank to everybody who answered my question here. I finally got my guitar : a Jackson - proffessional series. Its body is thin just the way I like. Second hand of course :) All I need is an amplifier now...

By the way check out my latest discovery. A very good guitarist named "Porty" ( not comparable to Marcel of course :)

http://www.portysite.com