Questions about guitar

Dec 31, 2004
Connecticut, USA
I have two totally unrelated guitar questions that I'd like some help with:

1. Is there any way to get a good sound out of a Boss ME-50 effects board? No matter what I set it to, my guitar tone is unbelievably shitty. I payed $300 for the board, so I'm hoping that it's my amp instead. I play a ESP Ltd F-400 FM, and use a Crate MX120R amp. All of my equipment was pretty expensive, so I'm confused... If anyone else has this effects board, your help would be appreciated.

2. Does anyone know any techniques for improving sloppy picking? I've been playing for almost 4 years now, but nothing I play can be heard clearly. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Then again, this problem may be due to my problem in question 1.

1. its propably your amp ~!
2 listen :
a. start playing scales and picking each note 2 and then 4 times
b. play chromatic scales the same way
c. start slowly until the pick synchronises with the fingers and you can go faster

ThornsOfSorrow said:
I have two totally unrelated guitar questions that I'd like some help with:

1. Is there any way to get a good sound out of a Boss ME-50 effects board? No matter what I set it to, my guitar tone is unbelievably shitty. I payed $300 for the board, so I'm hoping that it's my amp instead. I play a ESP Ltd F-400 FM, and use a Crate MX120R amp. All of my equipment was pretty expensive, so I'm confused... If anyone else has this effects board, your help would be appreciated.

2. Does anyone know any techniques for improving sloppy picking? I've been playing for almost 4 years now, but nothing I play can be heard clearly. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Then again, this problem may be due to my problem in question 1.

1. I have Boss ME-50B(for bass) and I've gotten pretty good bass tone's out of it. Try to go from your ME's output to the Effects Return of Crate, by doing this you'll not use your amps preamp/EQ only poweramp(note: you won't be able to lower the volume from your amp so make sure that ME's volume isn't too high.) Also check out the memory mode settings and try to tweak from there.

2. Playing old metallica songs will improve your picking hand, heh.

Maybe you move the pic too much, less movement = faster cleaner picking. You should only have to move the pic enough to move the string, anything else is wasted motion and could cause uneven stokes and added noise. Do you play cleanly? Like muting strings you aren't playing?

Silver Incubus said:
Maybe you move the pic too much, less movement = faster cleaner picking. You should only have to move the pic enough to move the string, anything else is wasted motion and could cause uneven stokes and added noise. Do you play cleanly? Like muting strings you aren't playing?
That's true about moving the pic too much...I usually just hit a bunch of strings and try to mute the ones that I don't want to play. It's definitely a shitty method, but I've been controlling my picking hand a little better lately, and trying to only hit the string(s) that I want to play.

New to the forum, and not that great of a guitar player...but I mostly play Iced Earth songs and they have increased my strength alot, might wanna take a look at a few of them if your into that kind of stuff, you can find tabs and very good power tabs for just about everyone of there songs here

http://www.abysslord.com/icedearth/

as far as the picking try only one string excerises first like 1 3 4 - 1 3 4 - 1 3 4 then 11 33 44 - 11 33 44 then 4 3 1 - 4 3 1 - 4 3 1 44 33 11 - 44 33 11. then move on two 2 trings...then whole sales etc...

I'm not familiar with the boss stuff.

Whenever you use a preamp with an amp your should always run it through the effect return or the Aux in. Running it into the fromt of the amp kills the tone. Your running 2 preamps if you do that and you lose all the dynamics.

As for picking heres some exercises i set up for a friend

======================================

Ok our 1st lesson is ready this lesson targets usings all the fingers of the left hand combined with alternate picking. Remember to play these lessons with a metronome and play them as cleanly as possible. Speed is not important the speed will come over time.

The tab for the following exercises is as follows

Example 1

|--5--8--5--8--|
|-----------------|
|-----------------|
|-----------------|
|-----------------|
|-----------------|

Example 2

|--5--7--8--7--5--|
|--------------------|
|--------------------|
|--------------------|
|--------------------|
|--------------------|

Example 3

|--5--6--8--6--5--|
|--------------------|
|--------------------|
|--------------------|
|--------------------|
|--------------------|

Example 4

|--5--6--7--8--7--6--5--|
|---------------------------|

All patterns are repeated on all strings. Up and down the neck.

Feel free to shift these around the neck in any position.

Heres the Audio
Right Click And Save File As

Da Fukn Guru

Da Fukn Guru