A couple of questions.

buscatesoros

Newbie from Venezuela
Jan 1, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Hello fellows.

I have some questions that have been bothering me for quite a while now.

What is better: a multi-effect pedal or separate pedals for each effect, and why? And what brand can you recommend? I'm thinking abut getting some Boss pedals, am I even in the right track?

And, if you could choose between a <700$ ESP Guitar, or a <700$ Ibanez guitar, which one would it be, and why?

Thanks in advance for helping the new guy around. :) :) :)

I'll answer your 2nd question first. I love ESP...actual ESPs though, not the LTDs. But considering you're comparing the LTDs to Ibanez's I really think the quality will be about the same for both. I'd probably go with the LTD just because I'm so comfortable with the shape and neck profiles of the ESP M-IIs, but if I were you I would try out both and see which one feels better to you. I will tell you straight out if you had the choice between an ESP (a real one) or an Ibanez the ESP will completely kill the Ibanez in terms of craftsmanship and quality.

and now your first question:

personally, Im not a big effects guy. WHen Im not using my Line 6 head, I usually just use the distortion on the amp and an overdrive pedal to help boost the gain for solos. Personally, if you're going to be using a lot of effects, you may want to get a multi...just remember that distortion *always* sounds best coming out of your amp or a pedal, so at least use a seperate distortion pedal even if you're using a multi.

hope all that helps.

I would have to agree about the ESP vs. Ibanez thing...I love ESP, even low-end LTDs rock (I played a cheap EX Model once). Ibanez kicks ass if you want a 7 string, in which case, an RG1527 could do justice. But in the case of a 6 string, the only Ibanez guitars I would buy would be either Vai or Satch signature models (JEM, UV, or JS). I'd say go with an ESP LTD MH-400 (or 400NT if you don't want a tremolo). They go for around $600 (plus or minus). EMG-81 Active pickups, lic. Floyd Rose (or tune-o-matic tailpiece, I think). Excellent craftsmanship, they're just awesome all-around.

For effects...I think that for the most part single pedals are more flexible as far as adjusting tone and effect level goes, but they are also more expensive in the long run. The best multi-effects processors are rack-mountable, but I will make some exceptions.

Here's a few recommendations for singles:
DigiTech XMM Metal Master (Best distortion pedal I have ever used)
All DigiTech X Series effects!

And for Multi:
DigiTech RPx400
DigiTech GNX4 Workstation (Expensive, but worth it)
Line 6 PODxt PRO
Behringer V-AMP PRO (if you wanna go the cheap way for a rack unit)
All rocktron rackmountable effects units

i had an ESP KH502 LTD, now i own an ibanez RG570 and an RG7470(somethin like that :p ) and both kick the LTD's ass playability wise, my 570 has dimarzios so it kicks the LTD's ass tone wise too hehehehe

u cant go wrong with a $700 ibanez, trust me

ya have to play what feels and sounds right to you. Me, I'm an Ibanez guy, but that's because I've been playing them for 20 years, and have been a 7-string player for over 15. But Romeo sounds and plays like a monster with an ESP, so...

As for pedals vs. multi-fx, as a live player, I HATE having to deal with lots of pedals. Between having to deal with a pedal board and constant battery changes (some venues will cause AC-plugged-in pedals to hum), it's a pain.

But if you only need one or two pedals, it wouldn't be so bad. I remember doing entire 4-set gigs back in the day with just my guitar, amp, an ibanez tube-screamer, and a digitech delay.

But these days, I have a Line6 VettaII with a floorboard, so that's all moot for me. And like Yngvai-X, I like a more "pure", non-effected amp tone. None of that overly saturated chorus/delay/etc. sound for me, unless I'm doing a cover gig and have to emulate a lot of specific tones. Van Halen flanger anyone?

SevenString said:
But these days, I have a Line6 VettaII with a floorboard, so that's all moot for me. And like Yngvai-X, I like a more "pure", non-effected amp tone. None of that overly saturated chorus/delay/etc. sound for me, unless I'm doing a cover gig and have to emulate a lot of specific tones. Van Halen flanger anyone?

That's pretty much the same here...I only like to use certain effects in certain ways. I LOVE chorus on clean, a little bit of delay on dirty (especially for a slow lead :)), and maybe a flanger with overdrive if I'm in the mood, and synth wahs are pretty cool, but I have yet to buy one.

Well, I can't answer your first questions, since I have never played an ESP and low end Ibanez I think suck big time.
The second one has 3 things you have to look at: quality, price and commodity. If your main goal is price and commodity, go for multis. As SevenString said, having lots of pedals is a royal pain. On the other hand, single pedals more often than not are far better than multis. Finally, I think, it all comes down to budget :err:

High-end Ibanez guitars (Prestige and signature models) compare very favorably with the high-end ESP lines YngvaiX speaks of. And DWOT's point that mid-priced Ibanez models kill LTD models is very true. However, Leslie makes the best point that it all comes down to what you're comfy with. I prefer Ibanez myself, and it took me a long time to get to that point since I was all too familiar with the trash copies Ibanez was producing in the early and mid-80's. I love my RG520QS and covet all Prestige models; however, I really want an M-II as well. They're high-quality, high-priced items and the quality and playability for all high-end models is inherent in the price tag.

Pedals vs. multi units is a tough question. What effects are you wanting, and what versatility are you looking for? Low-end multi units are not flexible at all - you are stuck with what you get. There are rarely low-end units that allow you to change the order of effects or to even affect algorithm changes to the effects themselves (especially on the EQ side). However, it depends on what you are looking for, what you find, and what your checkbook can afford. There are several variables to consider - at my office, I play through a simple set up (guitar to Chandler Tube Driver feeding POS DOD FX7 - the low-end, non-flexible multi unit works because I'm only looking for smooth delay and some EQ) but at home I play through a TC Electronic G-Major multi rack unit (for more quality sounds and greater flexibility with my patches) feeding an ADA MP1 into the power amp of a Crate G212.

Take your time to do research. Scour the guiat mags' websites and read the tech articles. A well-informed decision is typically a good decision.

Well, I'm not a big effect guy either. Some extra power for the lead guitar duty, wah and acoustic simulator is everything I think I'm looking for (but of course, I fell in love with the GNX4 Katalepsy was talking about, at first sight). I think I'm gonna save up some money and get something that is worth it.

And on the guitar issue, I have not played with an ESP guitar. Ever. Not even the LTD model. And I feel pretty comfy with the RG model by Ibanez. I'll try the ESP out when I get the chance and make my decision. (The fact that everyone on this board seems to adore the ESP isn't making this easier for me :p )

ABQShredHead said:
High-end Ibanez guitars (Prestige and signature models) compare very favorably with the high-end ESP lines YngvaiX speaks of.

High end Ibanez guitars do not compare with ESPs. High end Ibanez's are still high end production models. The high end ESPs are essentially like Carvins...they are coming from the custom shop but are not "custom orders" if that makes sense...trust me on this...I've seen some pretty shoddy QC work on some VERY high end Ibanez's. My M-II is like a fucking rock.

i have a gnx3 effect pedal and its pain in the ass.its so fucking complicated ,and u have to spend a year to learn how to use it

I prefer single fx pedals over the multi-fx processors for the most part. If you want a more all in one solution, look into some of the multi fx rack units.

As for the guitar question, they're about the same +/-, so it just really depends on your personal preference.

shredder487395 said:
Is it possible to have a guitar with a floyd locked so the bridge dosn't move either way at all?

yeah, you can block the trem, but I don't see the point in this...why not just get a non floyd or non trem guitar? Or you could do like Paul Gilbert and modify a floyd to have a fixed bridge...

The thing is, i've been continplaiting which guitar to get. either the ESP M-2 or the ibanez PGM 301. I never use a trem at all so i'm leaning more to the pgm. The reason i want a M-2 though is that it has 2 humbuckers and no single coils. The pgm has 2 humbuckers and single coil and the single coil always gets in my way. And also the M-2 comes in black. I just can't make up my mind.

Matt i read on your bio that you went to Berkely and were tought by Joe Stump; He is my favorite Guitarist. that must have been amazing, How was it?

shredder487395 said:
Matt i read on your bio that you went to Berkely and were tought by Joe Stump; He is my favorite Guitarist. that must have been amazing, How was it?

Joe is the single greatest guitarist I've ever had the opportunity to see play no greater than 2 feet in front of me (in a non concert setting). He taught me a lot and made my experience at Berklee that much more fun.