Questions to Lars K Norberg

Nomado

New Metal Member
Apr 20, 2005
São Paulo, Brasil
Hi, this is my 1st post here. First of all, let me say that Spiral Architect is one of my favorite bands since 2001 when a friend of mine sent me "Insect", I was amazed by the musicianship of you guys and I tought that there would be no more Spiral albums to be recorded once your website has generally 1 update a year. Now I'm really aprehensive about the new album and I'm pretty sure it will kick ass!
Now, I have a few question to Lars:
According to www.activebass.com you have "played bass for around 13yrs in different bands, mainly fusion and rock/metal. Founded the technical metal/fusion band Spiral architect in 1993. Have taken different music/bass schools."
So, who are you? 13 years playing and I had never heard of you!? hehe (oh, yes, I'm a bassist). Which bands have you played before Spiral Architect? Especially the fusion one(s).
The basic question: Which artists were you influenced by? You have very unique bass line and sound, so what's your gear set?
I hope you don't get mad at this one, but I still have ASU on mp3... :cry: Importing ASU is way too expensive for me since I don't have a job yet, are there any plans of releasing it in South America? or at least your next album... hehe
Well, that's it. Keep up the good work!

I can also tell you that's not easy to get the cd in Brazil. I was fortunate to have a friend who went to power prog and bought a copy to me. It looks like technical metal does not appeal for Brazilians, like for ex, a friend of mine asked Hellion records whether they would release spastic ink cds here and they replied with "No, it does not sell". it's said. I bought the Cynic cd last year ( after around 8 years having a cassete tape ) from an Amazon merchant, it wasnt expensive ( 15 dollars with shippment ), but I had a credit card that time. I know that Hellion Records can import a copy for you but it'd end up costing way too much, at least 30-35 US Dollars. Hey Nomado, I didn't know the site. Loved it. Former guitar player here, now a converted bass player :). Hey Lars, which are your favorite bass players?

Spastic Ink cds are released in Chile, I got them from a friend of mine who went to Chile, probably the shipment is much more cheap than sending them from USA. In fact, they also have "A Sceptic's Universe" (according to some currency converter site, about 50 "reales" (or r$, I don't know how to spell your currency in portuguese or english :p). Check out http://www.cdk.cl/ (sorry if this linking thing breaks any forum rules)

zlogdan said:
I can also tell you that's not easy to get the cd in Brazil. I was fortunate to have a friend who went to power prog and bought a copy to me. It looks like technical metal does not appeal for Brazilians, like for ex, a friend of mine asked Hellion records whether they would release spastic ink cds here and they replied with "No, it does not sell". it's said. I bought the Cynic cd last year ( after around 8 years having a cassete tape ) from an Amazon merchant, it wasnt expensive ( 15 dollars with shippment ), but I had a credit card that time. I know that Hellion Records can import a copy for you but it'd end up costing way too much, at least 30-35 US Dollars. Hey Nomado, I didn't know the site. Loved it. Former guitar player here, now a converted bass player :). Hey Lars, which are your favorite bass players?

if i read such stories i'm glad to live in holland were i can buy almost everything ever recorded! (and that i have seen SA live! :loco: )

Nomado said:
Hi, this is my 1st post here. First of all, let me say that Spiral Architect is one of my favorite bands since 2001 when a friend of mine sent me "Insect", I was amazed by the musicianship of you guys and I tought that there would be no more Spiral albums to be recorded once your website has generally 1 update a year. Now I'm really aprehensive about the new album and I'm pretty sure it will kick ass!
Now, I have a few question to Lars:
According to www.activebass.com you have "played bass for around 13yrs in different bands, mainly fusion and rock/metal. Founded the technical metal/fusion band Spiral architect in 1993. Have taken different music/bass schools."
So, who are you? 13 years playing and I had never heard of you!? hehe (oh, yes, I'm a bassist). Which bands have you played before Spiral Architect? Especially the fusion one(s).
The basic question: Which artists were you influenced by? You have very unique bass line and sound, so what's your gear set?
I hope you don't get mad at this one, but I still have ASU on mp3... :cry: Importing ASU is way too expensive for me since I don't have a job yet, are there any plans of releasing it in South America? or at least your next album... hehe
Well, that's it. Keep up the good work!

I don’t know where active bass get their information from. For instance - I’ve played for nearly 20 years by now. Further - I have never worked with any jazz or fusion bands outside the facilities of the music institutions I’ve been attending, which are BIT/MI (Hollywood) and the Department of Musicology at the University of Oslo. I don’t think that counts.

I’m (still) working on an interview with Mr. Razor (sorry again for the delays, but I’ve been incredible busy). These things and more will be accounted for there. I interpret his post above that the end result will be available to you all. Therefore, and out of courtesy to the interviewer, I leave it with this for now.
But which bass players do you - zlogdan - think are my favorites?

Lars:) U tour with Satyricon.
Do u play with them becuse u like black metal and have fun?
Anyway great concert on øyafestivalen!
And do u always use femstrengers or do u sometimes play 6 in SA?
I hope i can se SA live sometime!:)

Lars! I wrote an email appeared in the official website.:D
Anyway I must tell you I'm From Argentina. I recently discovered
Spiral (two years nearly). I played the guitar from a long time
ago. I feel so inspired in S.A. that i felt last time i must come out
with something that get closer to that sensation i have.
What made you think your compositions sound should be on an extreme?
S.A. rules. Hope you release any big fat screaming material.:Spin:
Best wishes in life!
Bioxava

Blackhole said:
Lars:) U tour with Satyricon.
Do u play with them becuse u like black metal and have fun?
Anyway great concert on øyafestivalen!
And do u always use femstrengers or do u sometimes play 6 in SA?
I hope i can se SA live sometime!:)

I tour with Satyricon because they are a professional act and I like the guys.
Nowadays I play mainly my 5-string Gary Willis signature basses. A 4-string is what I used on ASU and what I’ve been playing until recently.

zlogdan said:
Lars, so what are your favorite bass players? ;-)

Kind of hard to say... I don’t care if the bassist has an ‘out-of-this-world’ technique if the music he or she plays doesn’t speak to me (I like to think that’s why I never was into the shred scene but rather fancied bands like for instance Fates Warning). Accordingly I’ve always been focused on bands and albums, not individual players. But OK, having said "a" etc…: Your list is not far off the mark at all; Jaco Pastorius, Gary Willis, Sean Malone and Geddy Lee are all - well - favourites of mine. Off the top of my head I would also add Troy Gregory, Steve DiGiorgio, Doug Keyser, Jeff Berlin and Percy Jones to that list… and then many more.