Quick Tip

ElektricEyez

Aug 29, 2007
Many of you may already know this but I recently was told to try this on the last recording I did and it worked out wonders. When recording drums use a ribbon mic to capture the room sound. I onlyi put it about 3 ft from the kit and about 4 ft high but you can use it in all sorts of places. Big difference from a condenser. I was previously using a AT4047 for my room sound and I got pretty impressive room sound, but the ribbon was so much warmer that I was hitting mute and unmute with the drums solo'ed and I could easily hear a major difference. BTW the ribbon I'm using is a Avatone Cr-14 but I'm sure any decent ribbon mic will do. My friend showed me his mix using a pair of Royer R-121's and that sounded awesome!

Anyway just thought I'd share since I've learned so much off this forum!

I keep meaning to get a pair of the T Bone or SE Electronics ribbons to do some stereo room mic'ing. Cymbals in my room mic's piss me off something rotten!

Yeah, I definitely want to get some of the T-Bone Royer clones. Can't afford the real ones, but I'm interested in using them in a Blumlein.

When mixing room mikes: Do you put in phase with the other cymbal tracks?? I mean, do you drag your room track until its aligned to the overhead track?Or you leave it as it is??

ALWAYS leave the tracks.
It makes your drums sound big, there will be no problem with phase or anything!!!! make sure left room and OH are both L and the same for right.

If you spot mic the cymbals the delay in room mics is even more important for alive sounding drums

Ahm another question, which is the proper place to put the Room mikes? In this example he said he put the mike at 1meter from the kit 1.2 heigh...I have almost 5 meter to separate the mikes from the kit, what will be the best option??

Experimentation. The only definite thing to say would be - don't put them like 15cm from the kit, it'd be pointless. Everything else - by ear. Move mic/s around.

ALWAYS leave the tracks.
It makes your drums sound big, there will be no problem with phase or anything!!!! make sure left room and OH are both L and the same for right.

If you spot mic the cymbals the delay in room mics is even more important for alive sounding drums

Actually, for me, it depends on the room size. With the warehouse we used, I left the overheads and the close mics in place, but I did slip the far mono room microphone back a few ms, because things were getting way too slapbacky. It still sounds punchy and alive and ambient though, so I don't see it as a problem.

Like anything else - do what works!!

Try it around 5 - 6 feet back in M/S with a 57 for the middle microphone. That's a lot of fun :)

Edit: Around chest height pointing at the middle of the kit.

I prefer putting the room mic in phase with the overheads, it sounds way too washy without. I suppose it depends on the room you're working in.