The Empire Shall Fall (drum tracking video)

MarcusD777

Dec 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
So we finished up drum tracking for The Empire Shall Fall album a couple weeks ago and have started guitar tracking but we finally got around to editing up some video of the drum sessions... Here is some video footage of the live raw sounds from inside the control room while tracking...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdPKUFpSPMs&feature=channel_page[/ame]

I ended up using a 14 mic setup and got some pretty solid sounds especially with the extra room tones:

Kick inside - Shure Beta 91
Snare top - Shure SM 57
Rack Toms, Floor - Shure A98's, AKG D112 and Shure Beta 52
Spaced OH's - MXL pencil condensors w/ cardiod pattern
HH and Ride - Octava MK012's
Mono Room (5ft away level with top of kick drum) - Shure SM7
Mic in Iso Room w/ door closed - AT4033
Stereo Room - Cascade ribbon Fathead's

All mics went to Trident preamps, split into an RME Fireface800 and Maudio Profire A/D then into Logic Pro 8... This was my first time using Logic to track drums and not sure I can say that I found it very appealing although I dig the ease of use with their multiple take/comping system...

cool.
really surprised you chose the MXL over the octavas for overheads though.

yea I usually have gone with the octavas in the past for overheads but I think the MXL's have this cool high end hype that helps gives the cymbals and overall kit a nice sizzle more so than the Octavas which tend to be a little more smoother sounding... I think the MXL's, Octavas, and Cascade Fathead's are some of the best bang for your bucks around...

Damn those overheads are high. Or I usually mic wierdly.

Cool video.

Joe

Yea they are higher than I usually place overheads but he had most of cymbals really low and having the overheads up that high helped get a better overall balanced level and view of the kit (cymbals and toms spread) while incorporating a little more of the room ambience as well...

Ohh and big shout out to Jonny "Beatfixx" AudioGeekZine for taking care of the drum quantizing for me... His services are totally professional, excellent price, and has a quick turn around time... I swear the guy doesn't sleep haha... Highly recommend his services if you are looking for drum quantizing, despise doing it yourself, or just have a lack of time to do it in the recording process...

oh gawd, i wish all MY client drummers would stomp the hats along to the click :erk: especially in weird parts when i can't tell if they're just ignoring it or not, i think i've interrupted some perfectly good takes and yelled at them for not paying attention to the click, and now that i'm watching this video there's parts where it LOOKS like he's completely ignoring it but his hats foot is right there following it like clockwork the whole time. i guess i'm just rhythm-tarded