R. I. fucking METAL EARL ROOT!!!

dreamcatcher

Raising the Knife
Mar 22, 2005
Just off the LCO rez
www.shaawano.com
Dear friends,

It is with regret that I must use this medium to inform you, but I cannot possibly call all of you; Earl Root passed on last night in his sleep.

Rather than feel sad, celebrate the life that he had, it was something that most only dream of. Earl made many friends, touched the lives of so many, all of his dreams and wishes came true. Not just a legend, hero or icon, he is family to most of us, and he will live on forever in our hearts. A blog will follow this when I have more time, I'm at work and just can't get away long enough to do what must be done. Nevertheless, it's my duty, and your right to know that our beloved brother has gone on to another life, free of pain, sorrow and remorse; and Black Sabbath on every channel.

We will see him again, he's waiting for us with open arms ...and monster, molten metal to shove up our asses!

We love you Earl, be well my brother, see you on the other side.

Jimzilla
The Root Of All Evil
Flame throwin' KFAI Fresh Air Radio
Which stands for Kickin' Freakin Ass Indefinitely!
90.3FM MPLS/106.7FM St Paul
listen on line at www.rootofallevil.com
or www.kfai.org
Every Sat night (actually Sun morning) from 1-6am CST
It's metal in you ear, and out your rectum
This ain't your mama's Paul Anka records, it's the heaviest radio show in the universe.

Dude is a legend. Had I not heard his show as a teenager I would not be the man I am today. Seriously. Plus, he was just a really cool guy.

:kickass:

I remember just getting into metal and thrash back in the 80's as a young teenager. It was very late one weekend night and I was scanning the radio stations with my trusty old boombox. I was living with my parents in Chippewa Falls, WI at the time. I came across this faint signal out of the Twin Cities and I was blown away at what I heard. It was "Pussywhipped" by SOD and it was on the "Root Of All Evil" radio show on KFAI. I sat up all night listening to the rest of that show, even though I had to deal with the bad reception most of the night. I remember the host of the show being really friggin' cool.

I remember seeing Earl's band, Disturbed, back in the 80's at First Avenue in Minneapolis. I was just starting to play guitar and those guys just seemed like huge rockstars to me at the time. I was fortunate to be able to see Disturbed many more times during those years. My first band, Contagion, played a huge Metalfest-type show at the Varsity Theater in Dinkytown by the U of M in the late 80's or early 90's. I think Disturbed played at that show, too. But what was really cool was that we got to hang out with Earl for the first time and he invited us down to the KFAI studios to be on his show that very night. I have video footage of that night at the KFAI studios, I'll have to dig that up to relive some memories. I remember Earl just being so cool behind that microphone. Tons of bands were just hanging out and partying at the KFAI studios while Earl did his thing, and every once in awhile he would call a band into the control room and interview them. When it was our turn, Earl was so friendly and was genuinely interested in us and our music. He briefly interviewed us, then played a couple of songs from our crappy 4-track demo. Let me tell you, as a young kid in a fledgling metal band, Earl made US feel like the rockstars. What a class act he was...

Many years went by since I was able to personally talk to Earl again. Even though we traveled in the same musical circles and I would sometimes see him at shows, I didn't take the time too often to say "hi" to him. Yeah, he was always surrounded by friends and fans, but I really regret not just stopping by to say how much I appreciated his radio show, his bands, and his music. Later on, I was fortunate to be able to catch Aesma Daeva a couple of times. I knew he was sick, but he would still give those shows his all and he was rocking like he was 20.

I was lucky enough to be able to talk to Earl about a year ago. I called him and we had a few phone conversations after that. I was able to stop by his home and hang out for a bit, meet his wife, and chat as we sat on the front steps of his home. I bought a piece of gear he was selling (a Rocktron Hush Super-C that he modded). I was looking forward to seeing Aesma Daeva again, but he mentioned he had some hospital visits and chemotherapy coming up...

When I heard the news about his death, I was pained just like everyone else.

If you listen to metal, regardless of where you are, who you are, or how old you are, you owe him a debt of gratitude.

He really was our Metal Father here in the midwest. Those of us that were able to see his bands, listen to his radio show, shop at his record store, and meet him personally will never forget him. We are blessed to be touched by him and his musical influence.

Rest in peace Earl Root. I will never forget you.

l_976412761a53155886ad417e65bc35e2.jpg

l_56cf6f89ff2d4e415780ebbc28cb2d6e.jpg

From blabbermouth.net:

On Friday, May 23, metal guitarist, independent label and record store owner and metal radio DJ Earl Root passed away due to complications from Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, a cancer he has been battling for over 10 years. Earl was best known as guitarist for AESMA DAEVA, GOD-AWFUL, DISTURBED (not the Chicago multi-platinum band, but the original), and much earlier with MORTICIA, among others, was the owner of Root Cellar Records and the Root of All Evil independent record label as well as the host of 35-year-running "Root of All Evil" radio show.

Earl leaves behind not only family (wife and son), but a legacy of metal, having had the pleasure of meeting him while either passing through the Twin Cities or growing up and having metal as their main source of inspiration.

Memorial services are yet to be determined. More details to come.