R.I.P. Miika Tenkula (Sentenced Lead Guitarist And Songwriter)

Just posted up on Blabbermouth:

Former SENTENCED Guitarist And Main Songwriter MIIKA TENKULA Dead At 35 - Feb. 19, 2009
Miika Tenkula, the lead guitarist and main songwriter of the acclaimed Finnish band SENTENCED, passed away earlier today at the age of 35.

Nalle Österman (GANDALF, LULLACRY, CHAOSBREED) told BLABBERMOUTH.NET, "It's true, confirmed personally by [former SENTENCED] drummer Vesa Ranta.

"The fact remains that Miika had a serious drinking problem for many years which escalated after SENTENCED was buried. They don't call it King Alcohol for nothing...

"The metal scene in Finland mourns now for one of the most talented metal guitarists to ever emerge from [the country]."

This is truly sad news! We've lost a truly great and inspirational player today. R.I.P. mate!

Devastated!!!

SENTENCED were and are my favorite band of all time, everyone has one.
They may not go down in the history books alongside MAIDEN and SABBATH etc but their music touched me more than any other band i have come by.
Their lyrics and dark melodic hooks could not be touched by anyone imo and their 200 album "Crimson" remains my all time fave.

This is as sad a day to me as when the likes of Shuldiner and Dimebag passed away. I was lucky enogh to see them live in 2004 and now more than ever realise SENTENCED will never record or play again.
They along with AMORPHIS pioneered the Finnish Metal scene which is amongst the most sucessful in the world now and they owe a lot to Mika and SENTENCED.

Will be mourning all weekend and playing nothing but SENTENCED!

A really shit day.

Sentenced - Lower The Flags

He's gone, he is dead
His remains upon the hearse ahead
As silently we wander through the mist
He's free

This is the end
Your journey's over, night descends
Below... Into the abyss
Farewell, my friend, you will be missed

Lower the flags
A good man has passed
He has reached the last of frontiers
Lower the flags
Down to half-mast
For again the world has taken a turn for the worse

He's gone, he is dead
Six feet of earth upon his head
Now lay your wreaths
Upon the one who lies beneath

Although you're gone
In memories you shall live on
Asleep... In peace now rest
The weight of the world is off your chest

Lower the flags
A good man has passed
Lower the flags
Down to half-mast

That mourning light I'll always remember
And these August nights; cold as December

Lower the flags
A good man has passed
Lower the flags
Down to half-mast

This is fucking shit news, RIP Miika :(

I'm fucking gutted about this.

Since getting home from work today I've done nothing but crank The Funeral Album, especially "Vengeance Is Mine" which is one of my most personal and inspirational tracks of all time.

Off to watch Buried Alive now. Hope you're resting well Miika!

Will be 5 months exactly to the day of Miika's tragic death on Sunday and also the first full day of my first visit ever to Finland. Eeerie.
Wish i could pay tribute and visit his grave sight but alas it is way up the other end of the country. Perhaps a pilgrimage in 2010?
R.I.P. Miika, your music is still always in my head!:kickass: