R.I.P. Miike Tenkula (Sentenced)

At the risk of sounding insensitive I get the feeling that the song to quote here might be "Excuse me while I kill myself".
I wouldn't worry too much about being insensitive. I'm sure he was fully aware of where lifestyle would eventually lead him. After all, it wouldn't take a lot of deep insight to figure out the whole band are just a tad self-destructive. It sucks that he's gone though :erk:

Been listening to Sentenced all weekend. Jeez, how good music Miika wrote. And lyrics of 'Lower the Flags' quite perfectly fit this situation:

"He's gone, he is dead
His remains upon the hearse ahead
As silently we wander though the mist
He's free

This is the end
Your journey's over, night descends
Below... Into the abyss
Farewell, my friend, you will be missed

Lower the flags
A good man has passed
He has reached the last of frontiers
Lower the flags
Down to half-mast
For again the world has taken a turn for the worse

He's done, he is dead
Six feet of earth upon his head
Now lay your wreaths
Upon the one who lies beneath

Although you're gone
In memories you shall live on
Asleep... In peace now rest
The weight of the world is off your chest

Lower the flags
A good man has passed
Lower the flags
Down to half-mast
For again the world has taken a turn for the worse

That morning light I'll always remember
And these August nights: cold as December."

I had hopes that Sentenced would regroup...guess that isn't happening now. Can't say this news really surprises me. His alcohol abuse was well known.

Sentenced was one of the first bands that I listened to when I started getting into death metal. I got this century media sampler from Rotting Christ's Dead Poem disc and they were the first song on there (Shadegrown). After that I was totally hooked from their classic DM to their newer clean-vocal stuff....it doesn't matter what genre of music they played, the music was always solid. Always.

And his writing was amazing...I still haven't been able to get into the non-Sentenced projects of some of the other members such as Poisonblack, so it's clear he was the soul of it all.

RIP...

I feel so sad now. Sentenced is my one of the favourite band for 13 years. There is nothing more to do & say.
R.I.P. Miika.

edit:
This is the end
Your journey's over, night descends
Below... Into the abyss
Farewell, my friend, you will be missed

Lower the flags
A good man has passed
Lower the flags
Down to half-mast
For again the world has taken a turn for the worse...

Although you're gone
In memories you shall live on
Asleep... In peace now rest
The weight of the world is off your chest

I'm very sad too. Looking at his photos, you can see how he ballooned out in weight, just packed it on. He used to be so thin. As much as I hate to think it, I wonder how he really died? Heart attack, alcohol poisoning, or suicide? It's only now that I look at all the photos that I realise what a massive weight gain he went through.

I will always miss this guy. I'm not normally sentimental, but Miika meant so much to me. I can't believe it's over, that he's gone. There is no encore. All I have are the c.ds and dvd. And they shall be played, a lot!!!!

Goodbye Miika. See you soon one day, hopefully.

B.