Rack power supply switch as main on/off switch for entire rack?

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
Forgive the more than likely stupid question, but this is something I've casually wondered about for years, but have never been quite curious enough to pose the question, until now.

I've noticed that some people who use rack gear leave all of the equipment turned on, and just use the switch on the power supply to turn everything on and off.

I've always played it safe and turned on the power supply first, then the first thing in the chain, then the next, all the way to the power amp, then reversed the order when turning everything off.

I assume that I'm doing things the correct way, but sometimes I wonder if I'm just being anal when I see other people just flick everything on all at once.

I'm curious about this too, and I guess the question could be boiled down to whether the voltage spike (when powering on electronic equipment) is any greater or lesser when you use the power switch on the gear as opposed to the outlet (probably depends on the gear) Honestly, my initial instinct is to say there's no difference, and thus turning it all on/off with the power conditioner is ok, but naturally I'm no expert...

I use to do this except for my monitors. I don't do it anymore because it doesn't suite my needs anymore. I turn everything on then the monitors go on. Monitors off first then everything else is turned off. IMO clicks and pops are not caused by a voltage spike, which implies an unexpected increase in voltage, but from switch bounce which is more like a bunch of on off states but still within the normal operating voltage. I used a power board that had surge protection on it. I'm sure there would be plenty of arguments as to why this is a bad idea but it never caused me any problems.

I've been doing this with my gear racks for 7 or 8 years, no problems to report. Everything is plugged into Furman power conditioners.

I don't do this with my monitors, computer, screen, or hard drives.

That's great to hear. I've wondered about whether turning all my gear off at the Furman would have a negative impact on it. It's a godsend with the Overstayers being on adapters which are always on.