Racks

Hexer

Nov 1, 2003
Germany
Visit site
ok, simple question: if I wanted to use a Rack instead of a top, what exactly would I NEED? would it be enough to just buy a Preamp and a Poweramp (I don't usually use effects and stuff)?

I'm already planning my next amp-setup, it will probably be either an ENGL Powerball or a Rack (probably ENGL, too). If I would just need a preamp and poweramp it could be quite a bit cheaper to buy used rack-parts instead of the head.....

Preamp + poweramp + MIDI footcontroller. You'll need a footswitch instead of the MIDI controller if the preamp isn't MIDI switchable. This is as basic as it gets, but the beauty of the rack thing is really the ability to get the best tone possible through various units (rack units and pedals), retaining your dry tone intact either with your effects on or off, and control everything with the touch of a button on a controller.

Ever since I switched to rack gear, I just can't play a head. The pure lushness (does that word even exist???:confused: ) of stereo effects is just amazing (and I have yet to try a wet/dry/wet rigo_O ).

So yeah, go rack.:headbang: :D

well as I always liked all ENGL-stuff I tested, I'm thinking about building an ENGL-rack (NOT now, I dont have the money at the moment and am still pretty happy with my ENGL Sovereign 50). I know I can get a preamp (ENGL 520 I think) for around 300€ (used) either from my music-store or (if its sold then) from ebay or somewhere else. only problem is, that I never tested the thing so far, so I dont know if its really what I would want/need.
the poweramp would probably get a bit more expensive as I want one of the newer models with the "depth-punch" function, as I noticed that a lot of ENGL-amps sound a little trebly and I want a more heavy tone.

the flexibility was another thing that got me interested in racks: If I happen to not like my sound anymore, I could easily change things with just swapping one of the components or adding something new (without having to buy a whole new amp).

I think I'll just test that preamp the shop has someday and then make further plans, for the moment, the 50W all-tube Sovereign-combo does just fine for me (I'm not a pro or anything near it, so.....)

It's always nice to plan things nicely before you buy expensive stuff (because rack gear is a lot more expensive than a head/cab setup, after all the math). But don't think you shouldn't build a rack setup just because you're not a pro. It is so much more fun to play even at home or band practice, and obviously gigs as well.

i have a rack, i love it. i do also want a head though, probably a marshall JCM 800 or a Peavey 5150 II or something

but its a great setup, and pre amp and poweramp is all you need, for power amps i recommend VHT, they are just some of the clearest amps ive ever heard.

Indiooo said:
It's always nice to plan things nicely before you buy expensive stuff (because rack gear is a lot more expensive than a head/cab setup, after all the math). But don't think you shouldn't build a rack setup just because you're not a pro. It is so much more fun to play even at home or band practice, and obviously gigs as well.
yeah it is. . .after i finally finished my setup, it came out to over 4000 dollars :erk: i was mad, but it was money well spent.

If you do make a HUGE rack, section it up, i made the mistake of buying a 14 space rack and filling it. not a good idea, im now mking a base rack, (furman power thingee, tuner, and wireless reciever) alon gwith pre amp sections and then another for the power section.

+1

I don't like having the poweramp in the same rack as the other stuff, at all, because you get a really big rack that is also heavy as shit. I prefer to keep the poweramp in a separate rack so that it's easier to move your stuff around. And you won't have heat issues.

ok, so just to make shure: all I would need to buy is: preamp, poweramp, cabinet, some cables to connect everything and the rack itself (the wood-stuff thats around the actual components ;) )
nothing else? nothing everyone except me (because I don't know what I'm talking about (yet)) would call obvious???

The rack itself is not essencial, but if you plan to gig with that gear, you'd better get one. Also, remember you need either a MIDI controller or a footswitch in case your preamp doesn't take MIDI.

What stuff do you want to get anyway?

i know you dont like effects, but a good rocktron unit is always a valuable tool. I suggest the Intelliverb - its just good reverbs and delays.

It's expensive but well worth the investment. If you're into effects (not necessarily the Steve Vai kind of madness) it's the only way to go. Pedals just can't stand a chance compared to rack units. Delays, verbs and modulation in parallel after the preamp will give you the sweetest tones IMHO.

By the way, there's a forum called Huge Racks that's all about gear talk, mainly rack and boutique amps. These guys have been through all the gear you can think of.

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/

Indiooo said:
The rack itself is not essencial, but if you plan to gig with that gear, you'd better get one. Also, remember you need either a MIDI controller or a footswitch in case your preamp doesn't take MIDI.

What stuff do you want to get anyway?

I thought about getting an ENGL 530 preamp (about 500€ and looks like a really cool thing) and one of the newer ENGL poweramps (one that already has the "depth-punch" function, as some ENGLs seem to miss a bit of low end). the poweramps are fucking expensive though....... oh well, maybe I'll just buy the Powerball head......... we'll see.
about cabinets: I know I can get a Behringeer for around 200-300€ and those sound pretty good, I've tried the Powerball with different cabs, and others sounded better than the Behringer, but were quite more expensive... let's see..

Hexer said:
ok, simple question: if I wanted to use a Rack instead of a top, what exactly would I NEED? would it be enough to just buy a Preamp and a Poweramp (I don't usually use effects and stuff)?

I'm already planning my next amp-setup, it will probably be either an ENGL Powerball or a Rack (probably ENGL, too). If I would just need a preamp and poweramp it could be quite a bit cheaper to buy used rack-parts instead of the head.....

Even if you don't use effects, remember some rack pre-amps don't even offer an on board reverb where as most heads do. It's not necessary for me to be able to make space-ship noises as most of the effects I use are for clean tone (ala chorus) anyway, but I have to have a little reverb whether it is a simple spring or digital on clean dirty and lead.

As far as what you will need is a power amp (stereo is unnecessary since you say you don't use effects) a pre-amp, footswitch and cables to connect.

Bryant

Doh !! I forgot to mention that you need a rack as well.