RAGE - Soundchaser, and more...

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
Fangface and I briefly breached the subject in the upcoming 2006 albums discussion, but I had to start a new thread on RAGE. For any of you that haven't heard of Rage, be you prog, power or true metal fans, I highly recommend the album Soundchaser. It has it all, accompanied by awesome songwriting and musicianship. Savatage fans should especially take note.

I'm new to Rage (Soundchaser being my first). Apparently they've got something like 17 albums out, and I aim to explore this band further. If you're in line behind me, I'd suggest you follow.

Right now, Fangface is leading me, and I trust him completely.

Fangface said:
They've had various line-ups and their sound has changed over the years, especially considering they have released 17 (!) albums. The previous record Unity is in the same vein as Soundchaser, you can't be disappointed by this one :)

As for the earlier stuff, I'm not so much into their 80's records honestly, a few good songs here and there but IMO Rage was just a second rate Accept on steroids at the time. In other words, typical german speed metal.
I think their songwriting improved at the end of the 80's / beginning of the 90's on records such as Secrets In A Weird World and Reflections of a Shadow. The band had become a power trio by then, after starting as a four piece in the early 80's.

During the 90's they kept improving and maturing : I'd recommend Trapped and The Missing Link, their last before they became a four piece band again.
Black in Mind and End of All Days follow, featuring a different line-up and new ideas but same kick-ass energy! Many fans consider this mid 90's period and those 4 records as the best Rage years.

On to another change with XIII, their "symphonic" record and a wonderful one to boot! One of my favorites, very different from the other 90's cds. The follow-up Ghosts is like a softer version of XIII, done with samples instead of real orchestral arrangements.
Coming into the 21st century the line-up was dissolved again and Peavy recruited new blood for what has become the actual trio, dropping the symphonic element, back to crushing heavy metal! Welcome to the Other Side is an ok record but Unity and Soundchaser are much stronger.

I forgot to mention their live records, EPs, re-recordings and so on, there's just too much Rage stuff out there :loco:

I highly recommend the album Soundchaser too. I'm afraid it's the only Rage album I have. Right now :)

They played Prog Power IV, headlining the second night. I really enjoyed the show. They impressed me with what they were able to pull off as a three piece. The stuff was great too. And Soundchaser was the one I listened to the most leading up to the show. It's a good disc.

Rage is one of my favorite bands and I like them through all their phases. I'd pretty much agree with what Fang wrote and I would add that Perfect Man is probably their best 80s album. Don't forget their true debut, "Prayers of Steel", which was released while they were still called Avenger.

Truly an awesome band, I saw them in Budapest and it was one of the best gigs I've been to! What you see on DVD is EXACTLY what you get, no dubs whatsoever!!!! :worship:

I have nothing to add to Fang's mini-novel either, but I'd still like everyone to acknowledge the fact that From The Cradle To The Stage is the best metal dvd ever. That's some intense musicianship right there. :worship:

I'm a BIG Rage fan and if you ask me Peavey and co. released bunch of magnificent albums and EP!So if someone want hint with what album to start just close your eyes and pick one.You can't miss :D .In April they have gig in Croatian capital-Zagreb so if all goes well that'll be a third time to watch them live :headbang:

Studio albums:
Prayer Of Steel(at that time Rage was known as Avenger )
Reign Of Fear
Execution Guaranteed
Perfect Man
Secrets In A Weird World
Reflections Of A Shadow
Trapped!
The Missing Link
10 Years In Rage
Black In Mind
End Of All Days
XIII
Ghosts
Welcome To The Other Side
Unity
Soundchaser
Speak Of The Dead(next month)

I'm also new to Rage but what I've heard from mp3s on their offical website I've liked very much. As of right now the only album I have is Ghosts which is very good though being a tad on the softer side. From what I've read this album does not represent Rage's sound as it is a somewhat experimental "symphonic" album. I will definetly buy more stuff.

desert_demon said:
As of right now the only album I have is Ghosts which is very good though being a tad on the softer side.

To tell you the truth, I'll have any band on such "softer side" anyday if they would be as good.... :headbang:
IMO their orchestral pieces put Metallica and their "S&M" crap to shame. Rage did not ruin their old classics like Metallica (for example, Firestorm has been wonderfully arranged for orchestra) and they had loads of original material written with orchestra in mind, I think there's nothing more to add to it...
It seems all the Metallica fanboys think that S&M is the best and most innovative thing since sliced bread, but they could pull their heads out of you-know-where and listen to some Rage! :worship:

From what I've read this album does not represent Rage's sound as it is a somewhat experimental "symphonic" album. I will definetly buy more stuff.

I'd rather say it's one of their phases.
They really have multiple faces and all of them fit them like a glove, I've never heard a band that shifts directions that much as Rage, yet retains its own identity and the essence. Their earlier works are pretty speedy and raw, later even bordering on thrash (Ten Years In Rage), then they slowed down to a more heavy metal approach, then added orchestra, and so on...

I've been able to find many of their albums available from my usual sources, but some are definitely missing. The VIII album I have yet to find in stock anywhere. Oh well, I have no idea which one I'm going to get first anyway. I might just go for the DVD since I've seen nothing but rave reviews on that. Plus, CDUniverse is selling it for $13.49...might as well get some video for the same price as a cd.

I only have Perfect Man, and I liked it at the time. However, I never bothered to follow up with Rage. I will give it a chance today again, haven´t listened to the album for many years.

tsorl said:
I have nothing to add to Fang's mini-novel either, but I'd still like everyone to acknowledge the fact that From The Cradle To The Stage is the best metal dvd ever. That's some intense musicianship right there. :worship:

I have this on Double Cd, its the only Rage I own But it is Great!!!

tsorl said:

what he said.

Rage is my favorite band. The 5 cds with Manni are the 5 best string of speed/thrash/power metal cds in existence. From Perfect man to Trapped the albums just kept getting stronger until the pinnacle of all german speed metal history, THE MISSING LINK!!! Although their current guitarist Victor Smolski seems to be the most talented musician ever, his solos and riffs will never surpass the sheer genius that Manni's were (Check solos on Invisible Horizons and Refuge). But if anyone wants to here rage in thier most technical form definately go with unity, Soundchaser or the new one which i have heard the promo of which isnt as good as soundchaser or unity.

:worship:HAIL RAGE THE GREATEST BAND EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I've got the DVD on order! It's somewhere in the mail system as I type! I can't wait! :hotjump:

That dvd is amazing and if you can find it get the Video Link its so good adn its got Manni on it. Metal Meets classic is decent too.

CrimsonWarrior said:
From Perfect man to Trapped the albums just kept getting stronger until the pinnacle of all german speed metal history, THE MISSING LINK!!!
Thanks for the input, Crimson. That "speed" moniker scares me though, as I'm not a big fan of super-fast tempos and repetitive double bass drumming. When you call those early albums "speed", do you mean in the vein of Running Wild where some parts are speedy and others more mid-tempo? Or are these Manni albums more of an all-out brutal attack on the senses?

And what is Video Link? An earlier dvd?

NP: Phenomena - Psycho Fantasy

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
That "speed" moniker scares me though, as I'm not a big fan of super-fast tempos and repetitive double bass drumming. When you call those early albums "speed", do you mean in the vein of Running Wild where some parts are speedy and others more mid-tempo? Or are these Manni albums more of an all-out brutal attack on the senses?

I'd say that earlier Rage was speedy in a thrash kind of way, they definitely had much thrash in their music then. Not as heavy, fast or brutal like Dark Angel or Slayer, mind you...

And what is Video Link? An earlier dvd?

Yep, twas originally released on VHS in 1993.