Ragnarokkr Second Stage 2016: THE RANDY RHOADS EXPERIENCE

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
A nice added surprise to the second stage is the guys from Jag Panzer have a side project. It is called THE RANDY RHOADS EXPERIENCE. This special set will feature music from the “Diary of a Madman” tour. The cool part is the songs will be sung by members / singers from the bands playing the fest. I think it may be open to anyone who wants to give it a whirl but actually has singing ability. This cuts out Master Yoda sadly. More details on this will come soon. It was a nice added surprise with Jag Panzer.

it is funny...a few different people asked about doing something like this. When mike booked Jag Panzer they asked about doing this. It is a great idea and something different. We have to talk to them to see how many songs and which ones and find people who want to go up there and sing. It will be a fun time.

Fortunately for you guys I don't really know any Ozzy songs from Diary of a Madman.

:OMG: sorry to be "that guy" but seriously that is strange. Ozzy (certainly that era, that album) is like heavy metal 101. HAHA
Seriously though, I suppose it is possible, obviously apparently that one into metal would not know such a classic. But it does still come off as so bizarre when some albums seem a given. As if those certain albums are like instincts people are born with.
For instance "smoke on the Water" or at least the riff; I don't think anyone ever "hears it for the first time, you are just born knowing it at this point. HAHA Some albums kind of seem that way to me.
Well I know what I'm trying to say. HAHA
Maybe it is the age and time of hearing it first. Amazingly that is an album I can remember the first time I ever heard it. Although the cover more so caught me back then than the music did- matter of fact I would not really still pay attention to the music until years later.
Anyway if you are interested in being educated in early classic heavy metal Bob tells me that there is a Intro to Heavy Metal class being offered at Harvard now. HAHA

I actually don't know anything off Diary of a Madman either. Recently I started a project where I wrote down 50 "classic/essential" albums I didn't know and am making my way through them. I am gonna have to add this one to my list.

I actually don't know anything off Diary of a Madman either. Recently I started a project where I wrote down 50 "classic/essential" albums I didn't know and am making my way through them. I am gonna have to add this one to my list.

I suppose it is possible, certainly can be due to age/generation.
I gotta say it isn't as odd and bewildering as when you are at a progressive power metal festival and several middle aged guys come up to your vending table asking for Fates Warning because they have never heard of the band and want to get "familiar" with them for the following year's fest. This was something I saw and you can't help but to scratch your head when it happens.
So you are a man in your mid-40 at a metal festival specifically targeted at a certain audience yet you have never heard of one of the leaders of the genre? It is like having a cheese burger fetish and never hearing of a Burger King.
I suppose anything is possible and people find bands at there own pace, but sometimes you can't help to just face palm.

It is strange but there is just so much music out there, it's just not possible to know it all. For example, one band I've never really listened to aside from the hits is Rush but this task has had me jamming "Hemispheres" nonstop. Better late than never I suppose. And I'd prefer people like that who are honest about their ignorance compared to the types who wear Bathory shirts without even knowing who Quorthon is, have a dozen different band patches of bands they've never listened to, etc.

It is strange but there is just so much music out there, it's just not possible to know it all. For example, one band I've never really listened to aside from the hits is Rush but this task has had me jamming "Hemispheres" nonstop. Better late than never I suppose. And I'd prefer people like that who are honest about their ignorance compared to the types who wear Bathory shirts without even knowing who Quorthon is, have a dozen different band patches of bands they've never listened to, etc.

well I find it almost impossible to keep up with every member of every band, hell I can't keep up with albums and certainly song titles any more. And yes this is due to way to much out there.
Though I agree that it is i,possible to know every band, still you are into a specific genre, at an even that is targeted towards that specific genre and you have never heard of the leaders of that genre? Come on now... and it is not like one guy either. And it is not like it is an obscure name either.
As for the Rush thing; well that makes sense, but if you had never heard for Rush being a guy who goes to festivals, in forums about popular music, buys obscure bands, etc that would just be fuckin insane.
Man I have every Rush album and still I scratch my head trying to remember songs, albums, and often Alex's name. My wife likes Rush and has access to every album but she essentially knows the "hits". Now if I played some deepcut she would recognize it as Rush, but there is a good chance there is stuff there she has never heard. However she is not a prog rock fan that would have no idea who Rush are... cause that would be silly.
I was going somewhere with this.
Anyway that 50 albums a year is a great idea. I think I might try that with other genres; as for rock/ metal there is none if if many that I'm not familiar with, not tooting my horn, just the way it is. But other genres could be interesting,
Ok Grateful Dead "American Beauty' there is a "classic" that I'm not familiar with.

I'll be perfectly honest and say that I only got into the first two Ozzy albums in the past 3 or 4 years when I joined an Ozzy tribute band. Before that, I was only aware of the hits. But yeah those albums are pure class and everyone should take an hour out of their day in the next week and give them a listen.

I suppose it is possible, certainly can be due to age/generation.
I gotta say it isn't as odd and bewildering as when you are at a progressive power metal festival and several middle aged guys come up to your vending table asking for Fates Warning because they have never heard of the band and want to get "familiar" with them for the following year's fest. This was something I saw and you can't help but to scratch your head when it happens.
So you are a man in your mid-40 at a metal festival specifically targeted at a certain audience yet you have never heard of one of the leaders of the genre? It is like having a cheese burger fetish and never hearing of a Burger King.
I suppose anything is possible and people find bands at there own pace, but sometimes you can't help to just face palm.

It's quite simple really. Those folk only care about about what the man in the tropical shirt tells them to like.

I think Diary gets overlooked a lot because it came between Blizzard and Bark at the Moon. Compared to those it does have a lot of weaker tracks, however it’s not without its hits. “Flying High Again” is a staple of classic rock radio and “Over The Mountain” was always pretty popular (I think he still plays it live), though my personal favorite from Diary is the title track.

To be honest, I’m not that surprised that younger people aren’t familiar with Diary of a Madman due to the reasons mentioned above and the different way people discover music these days. On the other hand, Jeremy’s story about Fates Warning blows my mind. Did they mean they weren’t familiar with the Arch era? Or Awaken the Guardian specifically? In the 90s they were one of the Big 4 of prog metal along with Queensryche, Dream Theater, and Savatage.

It's quite simple really. Those folk only care about about what the man in the tropical shirt tells them to like.

Well yeah, though that is not what I was getting at. But besides that one would think for someone to even have enough interested to even go to such a festival, to be into that specific genre....
You can't help but to wonder what happened.
So you are 45 year old man and lover heavy metal but you have never heard of Iron Maiden? Not dislike or don't listen to, but never heard of..?
How is that fuckin possible? HAHA And it is not like it is some black metal goober trying to be cool either by saying "no I have never heard of x band and only listen to Y band. No, these idiots just totally throw you off like you're in a Twilight Zone episode or something when talking to them.