Ragnarokkr Second Stage 2016: THE RANDY RHOADS EXPERIENCE

I'll be perfectly honest and say that I only got into the first two Ozzy albums in the past 3 or 4 years when I joined an Ozzy tribute band. Before that, I was only aware of the hits. But yeah those albums are pure class and everyone should take an hour out of their day in the next week and give them a listen.

See though that is not so shocking. First of all you are really young so this would certainly cause a gap, and you possibly never got around to going back to it.
I watch a Kids React video on Youtuube and see high school kids who have no idea who Nirvana were, that is trippy to me. I can wrap my head around you not knowing much Ozzy easier than high school kids not knowing Nirvana, cause they were so huge that one would think it would take a little more time for them to fade back into the popular consciousness even with now what a generation later.
But it is age and the way we gather information to. So it honestly is to to odd for people under 30 to know more about some cool "underground" band that put out a cassette then they would be familiar with Ozzy.

I think Diary gets overlooked a lot because it came between Blizzard and Bark at the Moon. Compared to those it does have a lot of weaker tracks, however it’s not without its hits. “Flying High Again” is a staple of classic rock radio and “Over The Mountain” was always pretty popular (I think he still plays it live), though my personal favorite from Diary is the title track.

To be honest, I’m not that surprised that younger people aren’t familiar with Diary of a Madman due to the reasons mentioned above and the different way people discover music these days. On the other hand, Jeremy’s story about Fates Warning blows my mind. Did they mean they weren’t familiar with the Arch era? Or Awaken the Guardian specifically? In the 90s they were one of the Big 4 of prog metal along with Queensryche, Dream Theater, and Savatage.

No, this was years ago when FW was announced and was going to first play. If it were a case of not knowing the first three albums and thayt era of the band it would be a bit more understandable. Like many people STILL do not know of any Sabbath with out Ozzy. Then there are some who only know Ozzy and Dio Sabbath and if you mention Glenn Hughes they just can't comprehend. HAHA These types can often be found at events such as Ozfest or are middle-aged guys at targeted music fests who have never heard of the bands who are the leaders of that music subgenre. HAHA

I watch a Kids React video on Youtuube and see high school kids who have no idea who Nirvana were, that is trippy to me. I can wrap my head around you not knowing much Ozzy easier than high school kids not knowing Nirvana, cause they were so huge that one would think it would take a little more time for them to fade back into the popular consciousness even with now what a generation later.
My kids only know Nirvana because of Weird Al.

Jeremy.

I get what you are saying but keep something in mind.

Mainstream metal bands were all over commercial radio and MTV when we were growing up.

For lots here, it was more of the grunge stuff.
(Maybe the tail end of hair metal)

So what might seem like staples to you could be rare to someone younger.

There are many 70s bands who I started exporting beyond the hits only within the past 5 years or so, such as Heep and BOC.

Jeremy.

I get what you are saying but keep something in mind.

Mainstream metal bands were all over commercial radio and MTV when we were growing up.

For lots here, it was more of the grunge stuff.
(Maybe the tail end of hair metal)

So what might seem like staples to you could be rare to someone younger.

There are many 70s bands who I started exporting beyond the hits only within the past 5 years or so, such as Heep and BOC.

Not sure I follow where you are going.
I disagree that metal back when was so mainstream well as far as MTV and radio; there was a couple of hours on Saturday night to see Iron Maiden videos, that isn't much air play. I never saw a Maiden video outside of HHB until 'Holy Smoke'. As for radio I never heard Maiden, Dio, Priest on the radio until my 20s when classic rock stations began to add them into the format. Of course this excludes college stations that like Mtv had really small time slots set aside for metal. And I'm not just basing this on radio in North Carolina.
Now I'm sure in big cities like Chicago it might have been a bit different but I can't imagine by much. And hell even bands like Maiden claim that they had very limited radio and MTV play in the states and from what I recall it was true.
Still back to the original point; a band like Fates Warning is not just a "staple" of that genre for me, they ARE a staple of that sub-genre, no other way to look at it. And to add to that; they did not get to much MTV and radio play either, sure they were on MTV but again at 2:00 in the morning.
It is interesting how the 80s and into the 90s is seen looking back. Younger people who weren't there romanticize it, while old folk who lived it just try to hang on piecing together whatever memories of it they can.

They did play Maiden videos in the late afternoon when Headbangers Ball had the afternoon show. They had Ozzy, Bruce, and Alice Cooper even host it. But they never had their videos in reg rotation.

Funny that you picked Maiden as your example, since "Iron Maiden" was the 16th video MTV ever aired way back in 1981. They would continue to get airplay on MTV throughout the 80s, and not just on dedicated "metal" shows. In 1986 they started Heavy Metal Mania, which was then replaced by the daily Metal Shop 1/2 Hour (later renamed Metal Music 1/2 Hour). These were both prime time shows. When Headbangers Ball began in 1987 it was late at night, like you said. However, in 1989 demand for metal videos was so high they added the Hard 30 (which became Hard 60 for a while) which was broadcast every Monday through Thursday from 5pm - 5:30pm. It wasn't just MTV either. USA Network also ran a music program in the 80s called Radio 1990 which played metal videos every Wednesday. Their late night program Night Flight was also known to play metal videos occasionally.

Metal Mania was a monthly show show that evolved into the weekly HBB, so it was not like there was a regular spot, well rotation. I never said MTV gave no support, just said it was very little.

I still have VHS tapes of both shows.

those were small 30 mintute shows, sure it showed some support towards metal, but really it was so little.

I'm well aware of the 30 minute shows like Hard 30 and the videos were more often Cinderella, Badlands, Bang Tango, Dangerous Toys, The Cult, Britney Fox don't remember to much Iron Maiden in there. It was all bands who had just released albums at the time and it was pretty much the same handful of videos just randomized. I remember the summer well; Batman hysteria and discovering Blue Murder, Badlands, Bang Tango, Dangerous Toys, The Cult all while on that vacation in Florida. Think I was skating a Santa Cruz Corey O'brian that year. I can see it like an episode of t
he Wonder Years. But don't remember seeing to much Iron Maiden.
Oh and I bought my first Metallica shirt that year, Kill 'em All

Since we are arguing over MTV lets go with my perspective from someone recent. I have never seen a true heavy metal video on mtv. You get that bullshit stuff called Asking Alexandria or something like that, maybe if they can squeeze it in between the rap and country videos. Metal doesnt get exposure on tv like it used to, even if it wasnt that much 20 30 years ago.

Since we are arguing over MTV lets go with my perspective from someone recent. I have never seen a true heavy metal video on mtv. You get that bullshit stuff called Asking Alexandria or something like that, maybe if they can squeeze it in between the rap and country videos. Metal doesnt get exposure on tv like it used to, even if it wasnt that much 20 30 years ago.

I can't say what MTV does now, put even around the time of HHB 2 metal was being played, perhaps not our flavor of it, but metal in some from.
As for MTV way back it was still no different; mostly it was hair bands, Sure I remember Sanctuary, Helloween, Viovod, Celtic Frost, Sword still it was mostly hair bannds. It the "heavy metal" themed shows themselves had a rotation within them it was hair bands.Now there was a few outside of hair that made it into rotationn within HHB like 'Hello from the Gutter', Anthrax. Still it was little looking back.
There were sometimes oddities show up like Zed Yago and Chastain.
But as for NTV putting metal into regular rotation say alongside Madonna that really did not happen. Even when "One" came out (both versions of that video for MTV that Metallica would never make) that still did very little if anything to get metal into rotation.

I first got MTV in 1993, right around the time I got into metal. One of the first videos I saw was Ozzy's "Mama, I'm Coming Home." I remember wondering why anybody thought this guy was cool. Later a kid I went to school with played "Mr. Crowley" for me. If it wasn't for that I probably never would have checked out Ozzy at all.

There were a lot more programs dedicated to music videos.
Here in Chicago channel 66 was a 24 hour music program that played pop as well as more mainstream metal.

There were commercial heavy metal radio stations in the 80s too.

Channel 66 here was kind of odd.
Later on it showed some of the local wrestling programs.

Back on topic too, I really can't say I care much about this.

Cool they wanna do this but never understood why so many guys in long running bands are doing the cover band thing, esp when there is interest again in their original bands. I mean. I of course get why they do it but it's not like the opportunity isn't there to make decent $$$ from their bands.

Cool they wanna do this but never understood why so many guys in long running bands are doing the cover band thing, esp when there is interest again in their original bands. I mean. I of course get why they do it but it's not like the opportunity isn't there to make decent $$$ from their bands.

It is what it is I guess.

Weren't you in a Savatage cover / tribute band? Granted Ancient Dreams was not long running nor successful...