circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Raise Hell – City of the Damned
Black Lodge – BLOD031CD – May 19th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

RaiseHell-Cityofthedamned.jpg

City of the Damned’s cover artwork is what I imagine Gotham City originally looked like in the mind of its creator. But Raise Hell don’t raise hell anywhere near the Batcave – they’ve made Stockholm, Sweden their stomping ground, and this is the fourth in a string of full-length releases, which was temporarily redirected to include a split and an EP. Though I doubt I’ll be revisiting this particular record, I’m thankful that I actually enjoyed myself more as the trip progressed. Had I listened to the opener “Devil’s Station” without having to fully review this album, I would’ve immediately pressed stop and moved on.

To reiterate, the quartet know how to write songs, but of the first three tracks, only the lifeblood of “City of the Damned” seems to be flowing barrier-free. Thankfully, however, “Reaper’s Calling” ushers in a host of melody-soaked thrash tunes that each have their own set of redeeming qualities. “Open Your Mind” features alarming riffs, and despite the guitar tones found therein, Raise Hell manage to sound a tad more sinister than ever before. Reminding me of the constant, unpredictable slithering of a snake, “Ghost I Carry” lobs plenty of riff differentiation while the support functions as needed. Is there anything special to take note of in regards to City of the Damned? Essentially, no, but I will say that the record is very fluid once the Swedes hit their stride near the middle. Slayer fans will swear they’re listening to a cut off Reign in Blood once the riffs in “My Shadow” register, and speaking of groove, “To the Gallows” pours it on thick as does the pummeling “I” and cleanup hitter “Rising.” Still, the pickiest of you won’t be thrilled by the grimy vocals no matter how good or bad the music is.

Strangely, despite the conspicuous thrash affiliation City of the Damned holds, prog/power tendencies do manifest themselves intermittently, especially during choir-style choruses (“Rising,” etc.). Nonetheless, Raise Hell do indeed spread a liberal amount of outright heaviness on top of certain songs, which are seldom devoid of an upbeat tempo. As I pointed out, though, I was pleased with the overall results of my sessions, yet I wasn’t so pleased that I wanted to return to the disc once I was comfortable enough to write about it.

6/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Raise Hell Website
Official Black Lodge Website