Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Exodus – Tempo Of The Damned
Nuclear Blast – NB1218-2 - 2004
By Rodrigo Escandon

exodus.jpg

Talk about one of the most anticipated albums of 2004! Tempo of the Damned is the first Exodus studio album since 1992’s Force of Habit, and the ferocious thrash attack that characterized the band in the 80’s and early 90’s is back for the new millennium. Much like The Antichrist for Destruction and Violent Revolution for Kreator, Tempo of the Damned is this band’s comeback album and it just goes to show you that if you want some excellent thrash, once again, we can count on a classic band.

Exodus sound like they haven’t missed a beat for 12 years. The crushing riffs, relenting drumming and the biting vocals of Steve Souza are all present. Exodus sounds like a band that have something to prove, and that they have a chip on their shoulder. Tempo of the Damned is an angry, aggressive and emotional album and the band is led by the excellent delivery of Steve’s enraged singing. His vocal delivery is truly one of the most unique in metal right now, and he truly shines in this album, in such spots as in the chorus of “Blacklist”, his screams in “Shroud of Urine” (which features an amazing twin guitar melody line) and when he is spewing virulent attacks in “Scar Spangled Banner” and “Culling the Herd”. One has to love the line, “When will everyone realize that people should be sterilized, the tubes are only fit to be tied.”.

But this is not just the Steve Souza show, because this album would not be perfect without the massive amount of riffs that Rick Hunolt and Gary Holt throw our way. Besides the aforementioned songs, other standout tracks that feature excellent guitar work are “War is my Sheppard” and “Forward March”. The former is a more straightforward thrash song and the latter is a more ambitious and longer track, where the band explores quite a few musical paths, and there are leads and solos aplenty to satisfy the air guitarists. Tying everything up beautifully is the great drumming of Tom Hunting and the similarly excellent bass of Jack Gibson, although I did wish the mix was able to bring up his sound a little better.

Exodus delivers the goods, and in the old-school style of the thrash heydays of the 80’s. Tempo of the Damned is not just for fans of that era but also for newer fans who want to hear a band play thrash the way it was meant to be. Count me in as one of the damned!!

9/10

Exodus Official Website
Nuclear Blast Official Website

I'm new to Exodus, I only heard the song Tempo of the Damned and it really rocks! I'll buy the album as soon as possible.

This albums totally rocks, it kicks ass from begining to the damned end. A must have and definitely one of the best albums of the year

This is a MUST for any Metal Collection ... a future classic !!!
Their best and most consistent release since their debut ...