Exodus - Tempo Of the Damned question for Andy ....

I nearly shit my trousers when i heard from the mouth of Fredrik Nordström that the guitar tones were recorded with a metal zone pedal in the chain. they didn't say what amp (probably 5150) but he also said the guys in the band built the cab themselves and they miced it with one 57, tried out several mics and that was the best. imo the guitars aren't the greatest tone EVER, but they definitely kick major ass and worked great for that cd!

It's a Peavey Supreme solid-state head with an HM-2 and a Metal Zone (one for gain, one as an EQ) run into the clean channel. Homemade cab with a 10 and a 12. Seriously.

It's a Peavey Supreme solid-state head with an HM-2 and a Metal Zone (one for gain, one as an EQ) run into the clean channel. Homemade cab with a 10 and a 12. Seriously.

They used the clean channel?! Naw, the Supreme 160 has a pretty good sounding gain on the 2nd channel. When I first bought the amp, back in '92, I used a "DOD American Metal" pedal in front. Now, live, I use a maxon od808, split with a stereo flanger out to the Supreme 160+5150. The Supreme's chunk is so tight and defined. It can start to pierce the eardrum though if the mid/highs get out of control.

Thats what got me about the TOTD tone, it was almost too good. It was very "round" and controled. It just took the edge away from the music.

Out of curiosity, what is your monitoring setup?

I'm listening on 5" metal woofer 1" silk tweeter diy speakers, which make some recordings sound horrible and some better than I have heard before, and the TOTD guitar tone sounds perfect to me. To me, "edge" is usually around 3k-5k.