RAM limit

Oct 27, 2007
Montreal, Canada
If I'm correct, Cubase supports only 1.5 gb of ram max (it starts crackling at 1.5).

So, if I open a couple of vsti like superior, omnishere, stylus, I'm already hitting the 1.5 gb, so I have to bounce and use each vsti onle one by one?

And if Cubase can only use max 1.5 gb of ram, why some people are putting like 4gb of ram in their computer? Does other daws have a higher limit?

This is a good question. I was having issues with Metal Foundry that it said it couldn't load stuff because of ram restrictions. I don't understand... I have four gigs of ram!

...?

What's the source on this one? Are you sure it's a Cubase limit and not an OS limit?

As for having more RAM... unless your OS and all that nonsense can survive with no RAM at all, there's plenty of use for having more than one individual application's max. (Hasn't this been discussed before?)

Jeff

...?

What's the source on this one? Are you sure it's a Cubase limit and not an OS limit?

As for having more RAM... unless your OS and all that nonsense can survive with no RAM at all, there's plenty of use for having more than one individual application's max. (Hasn't this been discussed before?)

Jeff

In all likely hood, yes.

32-bit systems have a 2GB per application limit, thus Cubase can only use that, minus the memory that system takes up. Of course, all DAWs have the same limit since it`s the OS limitation.
Overall limit of addressable memory for a 32bit OS is about 3.2 - 3.5GB (depending on a few things).

I can vouch for Cubase having problems when it uses 1,5 GB or more. When a project in Cubase SX 3 uses 1,5 GB of memory, you cannot add any more VSTi's to the VST instrument rack! They simply won't appear at all, no matter how many times you add them! Maybe it's some sort of a protective feature because Steinberg knows the problem, but chooses to brush it under the carpet? Sometimes the instrument plug itself will show up in the rack, but it will not work correctly (can't load any presets).

I've been running into that problem recently with several of my next album's songs that feature extensive amounts of soft synths. One fix is to freeze all the finished instruments, but that slows down the song arrangement process considerably.

And remember, even with a 64-bit windows system, if the DAW is still a 32bit program, it will still only use 2gb, even if you have more......