Rammstein "liebe ist..." - Sound Emulation

dcb

nerd
Dec 7, 2008
Hey, bought the new rammstein yesterday and was blown away by the production. i couldnt resist to try emulating their sound (its not 100 % but i think it works pretty good). this is not mastered!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=885205&songID=8322910

- its slate for drums
- quad tracked line 6 (2 treadplate with recabinet 2.0 / + curve eq i took from the track waldmannsheil + ssl 4K Channel // 2
- bass was only my guitar one octave down :)
i will rerecord this with my real bass. but im quiet impressed how cool this actually sounds :) this will get me even closer to the rammstein sound i guess.

sorry for the lack of tightness in my playing, i had a few beer already :kickass:

anyone dig this ?

Sounds very close but the drums have too much room and the guitars are more in your face. But good job on this one.

thanks guys! yeah, usually i only use room on the snare to add depth, but never to let the room shine trough.

the track i tried to emulate had shitloads of room on the snare, and my usual dry approach didnt really come to life.
the snare to me makes this track come alive - i think bands like rammstein playing arenas need huge snare sounds because that is how they will sound
when you hear them live.

danny what drums from slate are u using here? also think this needs a little more warmth and punch btu that again might be from it not being a real bass

hey mate! yeah, i know is in no way asubstitute for a real bass,
but i will try this preset for a new syqem song i'm writing (not that we turned ito a rammsteiny band:lol:) but i love to have a huge soundnig preset
for a song so i can focus on songwriting rather than mixing and making
the song work.

slate drums were :
- Kick 15 (Tama)
- Kick 7
- Snare 22 -12 db // - 5sb SSD // OVerheads OFF
- Snare 21 -2db // +2db SSD // OH Off
- Slates Custom -12 db // - 3db SSD // OH ON

snares ran through the 1176 UAD LN
- Attack 3 - Release 3 - GR 4 - Input 20 - Output 18

and UAD SSL 4 K boosting highs and scooping the mids

i think the "sound" of the snare comes more from the room,
the attack from the direct snare mics. again,
i think snares can only live with enoguh room sound,
i also love to use the ssd samples on real recorded drums, to add dimension to the kit. this really helps to make the drums cut without being overly loud + adds this "expensiveness" to the drumsound