Rammstein - "Mein Teil" & "Amerika" singles

Psychedelic Warlord

Lord of the void
Aug 5, 2004
Gothenburg, Sweden
I´ve been a devoted fan to Rammstein ever since I heard Engel on swedish radio in the summer of´97. I then quickly bought the albums Herzeleid and Sensucht. The metal-industrial music and the german lyrics hit me like a ton of bricks and the concert at Hultsfredsfestivalen 1997 was a riot. Rammstein kicked some serious butt and singer Till almost burned down the Pampas stage with his arm-mounted flame-throwers :headbang:

The Mutter album in 2001 was a welcome development of the Rammstein sound with more metal influences (Links 2 3 4, Adios) and "classic" Rammstein tunes like Mein herz brennt and Sonne. It was therefore with great anticipation I bought the new single Mein Teil from the forthcoming album Reise, Reise. And despite the ever present Rammstein humor (Mein Teil means My Part and the song is about the recently convicted cannibal in Germany who advertised for people to eat, and actually got quite a few responses. What body part the song is about I leave to your imagination. :D ) the song is a weak carbon copy of earlier Rammstein offerings. The band sounds tired and out of ideas. Something that becomes even more clear with the second single Amerika. The lyrics are a half-assed attack on (you guessed it) USA, done better by a gazillion other groups (american as well as european) and the music is totally lacking in anything even remotely Rammstein-ish.

Rammstein won´t get very many new fans with this release and they´ll probably lose quite a few of the old ones. But I will wait until the release of the album and the concerts in Stockholm and Oslo before I declare them a lost cause...