__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Randy Ellefson – The Firebard
Guitarosity Records – 2006
By Russell Garwood

RE.jpg

Now here’s an inspirational tale for us all. Randy Ellefson, the US guitar virtuoso behind The Firebard has spent almost a decade fighting tendonitis. Following ten hours a day practice over the course of two years he achieved a Bachelors of Music in classical guitar, before being struck down by a severe case of the condition. A year of forced abstinence, and four years of once-weekly practices later, he is now able to play for three hours, every other day. Many people would have given up by this point, but instead Randy produced this, his debut album, over the course of two years, recording only when he was able to play. Hence, the fact that this extremely professional self-release is sitting before me at all is quite a victory.

In terms of music - as you would expect from someone who developed tendonitis through excessive practice - the guitar is tighter than a marshmallow squeezed into a penny slot. Think Vai-influenced instrumental hard rock, but - rather than relying on unadulterated wankery – full of soaring melodic lines and catchy rhythm work. Solid bass, and clearly programmed drumming are secondary to the guitarwork. The songs manage to avoid being boring (a common pitfall, in my opinion, of some instrumental rock), and this makes for an enjoyable listen.

Firebard is a solid release, especially considering the circumstances under which it was recorded; two years is a long time to work on a record and keep everything coherent, yet Randy Ellefson succeeds. For a self-release, the production is of a decent standard. Hence this album comes recommended to fans of guitar-orientated rock and metal. Whether it can reach fans outside the world of instrumental virtuoso performances remains to be seen.

7/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Randy Ellefson website

Such a sad story with a sad ending... Yeah, he recorded the album but he can't play more than 3 hours? That really sucks. I'll have to check this out honestly.