Rantings on One, from Neal Morse

DiscoDave

Philosopher-Warrior
Jun 2, 2003
Seattle, WA
Whenever I buy a cd, the first thing I do is put it in my computer and record it. The next thing I do is burn a copy. Then the original cd goes in a big box that I keep all my cd's in, and the burned copy goes in my cd book that I keep in my car. That way if my book gets stolen, or I scratch/break the cd (happens more often than I'd like to admit), I still have the original in new condition.

Unfortunately, I can't do this with One. The 8th song doesn't even PLAY in my computer's cd drive, much less record. That makes me angry.

I heard of cd's that wouldn't play in computers, but thought Prog Rock would be safe from that kind of thing beings as I figured the target audience really doesn't do much pirating. I mean...hell...if we're offered a normal $15 disk vs. a super amazing deluxe $25 dollar disk, what do we all take? I've been known to buy the regular disc if it was all I could find, then go back and buy the $25 disc, just to have it.

The pirating that's gone on in the music industry sucks. I understand musicians and writers feeling harmed by it, but that's not an excuse for them to harm me.

*sigh*

Sorry for the off-topic rant, but this really frustrates me.

It's probably the label, and not Neal's doing. But you have a point about this particular genre of music and how loyal and rabid the fans are.

--dan

I love this CD! I think is quite an improvement on Testimony, which was way to preachy for me. I'm not against that, its just a bit much for me. 'One' has a nice spirtitual vibe, which if fine by me, it just does not beat you over the head with it. It also is VERY proggy, especially "Author of Confusion", which seriously kicks butt.