rasterbation

rafael

wannabe
Jun 8, 2003
Oslo, Norway
Visit site
hello

i was inspired to make a poster since i saw someone do it themselves using a technique called 'rasterbation'. it's basically an image augmented to big dots which together make the whole image.

at far it looks like this:
aj.jpg

and to understand how it works, here's an upclose:
closeup.jpg

so what do you reckon? :err:

:p

edit: oh, and if you want to do it yourself you need flash 7, acrobat reader (or similar), a printer and lots of black ink (depeding on the size and brightness of the pic). here's a site to check if interested: http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

siderea said:
hey raf on what size do you put the dots, because i've been trying some as well but i didn't get a nice result
are those a4 sheets?

elllo,

dunno about the dots, sorry. i just used the automatic thingy on the website (which ive made a link to at the bottom of the original post). those sheets are a4 yes :)

hmm you rasterbate a lot!
but you rasterbate nice
you're a good rasterbator
or rasterbatist??

welldone, cheers.

get a Rotring pen and try stippling a duotone image onto CS10 board (by hand!) to A2 :D it should only take you about 2 weeks full time

And some Rotring pens. Those remind me of misery :mad:

Anyway, Lis, the reason the dots look too big on your sheets is because you have to use a LOT of sheets to get a nice result. There is a limit for the radius of the dots so using as many sheets as possible makes a good result. Also, if your printer has the option to print till the edge of the paper, do it, than you don't have those ugly white lines in the image (unless you cut all those edges)
I rasterbated Katatonia artwork to 4x4 metres (more than 200 sheets) once and then I went to the print shop cos my printer surely wouldn't be able to handle it, but it would cost more than 50 €, I'm not gonna spend that much money on that :mad:

ikeaboy said:
get a Rotring pen and try stippling a duotone image onto CS10 board (by hand!) to A2 :D it should only take you about 2 weeks full time
haha! that's something i've always liked doing. at school i was stippling all the covers of my courses (hope you understand, cause i don't know how it's called)