rate my mix! original song. (axe fx, sd2.0 - metal machine)

smarek

New Metal Member
Jul 19, 2011
http://soundcloud.com/smarek/firaga

here it is.
i used axe fx (euro uber) for the guitar tone.
quad tracked most. cept for the chorus parts which were slightly different.

superior drummer 2.0 avatar kit with metal machine snare and kick.

mix critique and song composition/structure would be awesome..
thanks guys.

An issue with levels. Can't really say much else until that is resolved. If this is just for kicks then I wouldn't bother but automating would go a long way here. As it does for practically every recording ever. Because you have spots where the kick is obnoxious in volume and other spots where the guitars are making me cringe for the same reason. So I would just adjust your faders until everything is essentially even and then automate. Cool thing I use is the 4db trick which basically is the act of dropping a track you are suspicious of being too loud, 4db and see if it disappears and then adjust from there. Tone is meh but I'm just sick to death of djent so that's probably why I no like lol

Thanks for the input man :)
Ill try the 4db thing...
But i didnt put anything remotely 'djent' in...?

Lol well whether it was concious or not, there is some serious djent going on :p as far as guitar tone is concerned I mean. The song isn't exactly djenty but if you don't want a djenty tone then I would advise pulling some high mids out. The levels as I said are a small issue but it's a pretty solid mix all in all.

Backwards guitar at the end had me cracking up. What I really like is when you have some guitars playing chords, & others playing single note riffs (1:07 ex.), they blend really well, clarity is good. Those parts are awesome. What I don't like is the drums sound very undynamic, like all the hits are the same volume. (maybe that's a souncloud upload quality deal)