Rate my mix: Pop/punk/hardcore content

kool98769

Mar 9, 2011
So, this is my first post.
I've kinda lurked for a while.
I realize it's not the best sounding thing ever, but it's honestly the first time i've done a legit recording of anything

I REALLY need advice on wtf to do with the vocals. They sound like shit, plain and simple. I'd love to be able to do something similar to The Color Morale with the way the vocals sit on the mix. They sound wet, but don't sit too far back.

It seems like no matter how I EQ and compress the vocals they still sound harsh. I'm honestly figuring this is due to how they were recorded. I'm just trying to polish a turd at this point.

Can anyone help me out? :erk:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16665737/ftoilm.mp3

well, first off, id say the guitars are possibly way too high in the mix, or at least, take a tad of mid out. although mids are really important in guitars, you may have a tad too much

and with the vocals, theyre just too loud basically. theyre mixed quite well i would say. maybe a teeny bit of church reverb, and then take them down in the mix, ALOT

that should work i think

well, first off, id say the guitars are possibly way too high in the mix, or at least, take a tad of mid out. although mids are really important in guitars, you may have a tad too much

and with the vocals, theyre just too loud basically. theyre mixed quite well i would say. maybe a teeny bit of church reverb, and then take them down in the mix, ALOT

that should work i think

See, but when I lower the vocals down more, they sit too low, and then only the harsh-ish high end sticks out :(
Maybe if i cut some mids from the guitars in that region it would cut through a little better?

I deffo bring the guitars down a little, maybe highpass them with a 6dB slope to get rid of some of the high end energy.

Then scoop the low mids of the vocals a little, this should allow you to have more headroom to get them to sit better low in the mix

Let me know how you get on