Rate the Evergrey albums...

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
I wrote these reviews awhile ago, and am geatly anticipating the new album. I'm not as cool as the professional reviewers out there who get free copies, but I know many on this board have it. How does it compare to previous Evergrey releases? And how would you rate all the other Evergrey albums?

I figure this post will a.) generate a good discussion on the qualities people like/dislike in Evergrey, b.) give those that don't have every Evergrey album a point of reference to see if their other albums are truly worth purchasing, c.) give people a feel on how Monday Morning Apocolypse will fair.

Regardless, I'll still pick up Monday Morning Apololypse... unless somebody gives me fair warning of some sort of awfullness to expect.

Anyway, here goes...

Evergrey
A leader of the current prog/power scene, these Swedes have a one-of-a-kind style – easily recognizable as Evergrey. Lead songwriter Tom Englund’s coarse mid-range vocals have a stern but inviting timbre. Suffice to say, Englund is the integral factor in Evergrey – not just a passionate voice but a talent for fusing bold melody while sustaining a convincingly dark atmosphere. This is achieved with gross dynamics: soft vocals with depressing parts and female harmonies (contributed by Tom’s wife), contrasted with dark brooding riffs and tasty leads – the perfect balance between gothic and progressive mid-tempo power metal. Yet I feel Evergrey’s true talent as writers emerge on the piano – Englund’s voice compliments this instrument all too nicely. I’m sure many reading these reviews have ‘01’s In Search of Truth (being the prog/power masterpiece it is) and are considering other Evergrey releases. I’ll be frank: they’re not as good and take a bit more warming up to. But they’re still quality releases – if a little more straightforward heavy metal than I generally prefer.

The Dark Discovery (1998)
While this is my least favorite Evergrey album, I’ve read some reviews praising this as their finest work. And I can certainly understand where they’re coming from. The writing has a little of that new band pizzazz to it – unafraid of arranging parts unconventionally (even though it doesn’t always work). The Dark Discovery is gothic metal focused on haunting lyrics and complex riffing. Englund’s vocal melodies are relatively generic, and the guitars stick to syncopating palm muted power chording, while the keyboards are used more for gothic orchestration than taking lead melodies. “December 26th”, the title track, “Damnation”, and “When the River Calls” are key examples – and those with the most bite. Yet, the ballad tracks—hinting at the greatness to come—are what propel this relatively tame release into B grade territory. “As Light is Our Darkness” and “For Every Tear that Falls” are fine examples of that intimate spark Evergrey are capable of. Beware of the muddy guitar/bass mix and scarcity of melodic lead work (abundant on other albums), but for the tracks mentioned, this release is certainly worth checking out – especially if you’re a fan of gothic metal. B- / 82

Solitude Dominance Tragedy (1999)
The buzz around Evergrey spread like wildfire throughout discussion boards with this critical release. On first listen—compared to the proceeding In Search of Truth—I was a little disappointed. Only the whirling orchestration and female counterpart harmonies of “Nosferatu”, and the gorgeous piano and strings of “The Shocking Truth” and “Words Mean Nothing” clicked. But the rest of the album eventually sunk in – all nine songs. For some reason, this album reminds me of Queensryche with a gothic twist. The rhythms are less complex than the debut but more melodic – tasteful piano woven into the songs and a noticeable improvement in quality lead work. The lyrics are more focused this time – exploring topics like loss, guilt… and perhaps solitude, dominance and tragedy as well. While this is certainly a quality release (and a favorite among many fans) – I found myself craving more of what the band has a gift for. More strings, more piano, more of Englund’s penetrating vocal lines mixed with the older Queensryche-tinged melodic metal riffing, which their next album delivers in spades. B+ / 87

In Search of Truth (2001)
For their third album, Evergrey fulfill their requirement for captivating the interest of prog metalers too good for the gothic power metal scene by putting out a concept album. In Search of a Truth tells the tale of a man who believes he was abducted by aliens and the disconnect he experiences with the world around him. The hype around this release baited me in… and I’m glad it did. All nine tracks are unbelievably strong with bold dynamics – making good use of expertly crafted harmony leads, slower piano sections with gorgeous melody and those harder sounding riffs. The songs are also more complex than the other Evergrey albums – sophisticated rhythms and more involved songs – giving this the longevity of a quality prog metal release. Englund’s vocals and the production—this time around—are particularly outstanding. In Search of Truth truly has it all. “Mark of the Triangle”, “Dark Waters”, and “Misled”, among a few others, are superior to anything on Evergrey’s other albums – undoubtedly a remarkable achievement. I wasn’t exactly in love with this album at first, but over the course of a few months, it grew on me. In fact, my original rating (as some may recall) for this album was a B, but I’ve since realized the error in my ways and have changed my grade to an A. Like Aryeon’s Into the Electric Castle or Ice Age’s The Great Divide, this is one of those albums I keep coming back to never to be disappointed. A / 95

Recreation Day (2003)
Hoping for In Search of Truth Part II, I fully admit to being a little disappointed. Those who might have hoped for Solitude Dominance Tragedy taken to the next level, however, should eat this up instantly. Quicker tempos, tastier leadwork, and more straightforward structures make this easy to get into. Unfortunately, poor production (muddy low end), a weaker vocal performance, and a more straightforward approach bring the band down a grade. The artwork is snazzy, the guitars are dominating, but I found myself longing for more strings, piano, and… quite frankly a better vocal performance from Englund. Yet it’s hard to deny how much this album rocks. From the blistering arpeggio of “The Great to Deceiver” to the anthem-like chorus (the kind you can just picture the crowd screaming) of “As I Lie Here Bleeding” to the hammering riffs of “Visions” – this is abundantly clear. A Creed-like acoustic ballad “Madness Caught Another Victim” and relatively weak piano ballad “I’m Sorry” are the only real low point as far as quality go – but the sheer depth of the concluding tracks “Your Darkest Hour” and “Unforgivable” more than make up for this. Recreation Day’s lyrical themes are still dreary like previous albums, this time with a concentration on death and how we cope with it. Those new to the band, might want to check out In Search of Truth first, but for those interested in a second taste of Evergrey, this is probably your best bet in terms of quality. B+ / 89

The Inner Circle (2004)
Having limited success on American rock platforms like MTV2 and supporting tours across the country (in addition to their growing European market success), Evergrey seem eager to garner attention with another album. The Inner Circle was released as the band’s second concept album – this time about a member of a religious cult and his mental breakdown. Much like In Search of Truth, the individual songs’ lyrics could be interpreted separately outside the concept. The songs are structured less conventionally with more adlibs and brief instrumental sections and melodies woven in. The new style gives the riffs and leads more meaning – the powerful guitar leads in songs like “A Touch of Blessing” and “The Essence of Conviction” exemplify this new direction quite well… giving me chills in ways few bands can these days. Tom’s wife provides backing vocals on numerous songs – which bring a health dose of emotion and a grand melody boost to the choruses. The two ballads, “Waking Up Blind” and “Faith Restored” however, aren’t of the caliber on In Search of Truth… but Tom’s voice and piano mix well enough for a welcome change of pace. A Touch of Blessing is a little too front-loaded; the first few songs are the album’s strongest, but, strangely enough, my choice track is probably the spoken-word/instrumental “When the Walls Come Down.” The voice-over mixed with dynamic flow of mood in guitars, piano, and strings back the emotion in the main character’s voice perfectly. Overall, I’d rank this as my second favorite Evergrey album, marginally ahead of Recreation Day. While many of these songs contain intense emotion, I know Evergrey are capable of much better music. A- / 90

1) The Dark Discovery
2) Recreation Day
3) Solitude Dominance Tragedy
4) The Inner Circle
5) In Search of Truth

from what I've heard of Apocalypse, I'd put it somewhere between SDT and The Inner Circle.

The Dark Discovery - 8
Solitude Dominance Tragedy - 10
In Search Of Truth - 9.5
Recreation Day - 8.5
The Inner Circle - 8
Monday Morning Apocalypse - ? (need to listen to it more)

ISOT==10 Then,
RD==9
IC==8
SDT==8
DD==8

How the hell are all these people talking about MMA?

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
By finding a leak using a file downloader.

Bastards. Support the band, buy the album!

If you download the album beforehand, by TWO of them to make up for it!

Dark Discovery - 6/10
Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy - 10/10
In Search of Truth - 9/10
Recreation Day - 8/10
The Inner Circle - 8/10
Monday Morning Apocalypse - 7/10

#1: In Search Of Truth
#2: Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy
#3: Recreation Day
#4: The Inner Circle
#5: The Dark Discovery

Greykiller said:
Bastards. Support the band, buy the album!

If you download the album beforehand, by TWO of them to make up for it!
Hell, I download it once to see if it's worth buying. I usually end up buying 50-60 discs per year ... the majority of which I actually downloaded prior to purchase. I just don't believe in buying blind, and not much can be learned from three samples of partial songs.

Britt

The Dark Discovery - 7
Solitude Dominance Tragedy - 8,5
In Search of Truth - 9
Recreation Day - 8,5
The Inner Circle - 8