Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Raunchy – Confusion Bay
Nuclear Blast – NB1224-2 - 2004
By Rodrigo Escandon

raunchy.jpg

Not having had the chance to hear Velvet Noise, Raunchy’s first album, I really had no idea what to expect of a release by a band that describes its music as “Futuristic Hybrid Metal”. With no preconceptions or expectations I threw Confusion Bay into my CD player and right from the first riffs of “Join the Scene” I was hooked. With their sophomore album, Raunchy have come out with more aggression, power, melody and enough hooks that make you yearn for more.

With a sound that reminds one of such diverse bands as Soilwork, Strapping Young Lad and Fear Factory, mixed with a good bit of thrash, Confusion Bay is the perfect album to let some aggression out. Do not be fooled by the keyboards and electronic sounds that at times make the songs feature pop music elements, or the clean vocals employed throughout the album. Confusion Bay is all about head banging to excellent riffs, powerful and tight drumming and both aggressive and emotional singing. It is the album that Soilwork looked capable of doing but could not accomplish.

Confusion Bay is loaded with one great song after another. Such as the speedy and phenomenal “Summer of Overload” (which, no doubt will be huge live), its extremely catchy chorus featuring both clean and harsh vocals. The memorable keyboard melodies that start “Confusion Bay” and the excellent change of pace that “Show Me Your Real Darkness” showcases between the heavy riffing of the verses and the speedier chorus are just two more highlights. “Insane” takes after its name, because it’s the heaviest and fastest track, whose drumming is really powerful and fast at times. Finally, “The Devil” sounds like it would best belong in a Tiamat album because the singing in is so reminiscent of Johan’s vocals, and the pace is also slowed down.

It is always the best surprise to hear a band and an album that you had no idea what to expect which totally blows you away. Confusion Bay is yet another great album of this young year and if Raunchy plays their cards right they could surely make it big.

9/10

Raunchy Official Website
Nuclear Blast Official Website