Raunchy - Death Pop Romance

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Raunchy - Death Pop Romance
Lifeforce Records - CD-LFR 058-2 - 2006
By Brandon Strader

Raunchy-DeathPopRomance.jpg

Death Pop Romance begins with a huge burst of energy from the guitars and percussion with a ferociousness that implies good things to come. Death Pop Romance is a very tenacious foray into metalcore with influence from the more modern Soilwork and In Flames. We can be certain of two things: One, Death Pop Romance is a whole lot better than their previous releases, and two - snakes are still scary. I wouldn't go as far as to say Raunchy sold out on this release, but it is a lot more melodic and heavier than stuff I have heard by them before.

Raunchy is a group that can take a declining genre like metalcore and make it fresh again. Death Pop Romance is very tight and has great production with a clear sound. The guitar tone has more drive than before and plenty of pummeling palm-muted goodness. The arrangements here are a bit "verse - chorus - verse - chorus" yet it is done pretty tastefully, and with plenty of evolution throughout. The vocal performances are extremely entertaining, using lower growls plus screams together during the verses, and usually diving into a clean vocal-smothered chorus which creates a great contrast between each section.

Raunchy's latest release, Death Pop Romance, is definitely on a level higher than your average metalcore... This is a group that can stand amongst the greats, In Flames, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, etc... and fit in splendidly. Some may translate that good or bad, but it is intended in the best possible way. All of these groups are adventuring into fresh, exciting territory and should receive as much attention as possible!

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Raunchy Website
Official Lifeforce Records Website

Definitely a good CD, glad I picked it up. There are a couple songs in the later half of the album which leave something to be desired but overall I'm quite happy with it.

this album kicks ass it is so good i love all the songs on this album but i disagree with u the other two albums were really good but this one is diffrent but still raunchy are my best band and the best band ever keep it up