Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Raunchy - Velvet Noise
Nuclear Blast, 2002
by Perkele

Rauncy_velvet.jpg

How many metal bands do you know from Denmark? I'm guessing not many. But the few bands or musicians they've given to the world have been worth the attention so far, and this time they surprised us again. Raunchy was formed in the early nineties and started their career as a cover band. They released some demos and their songs were put on compilations cds, which led to them becoming more and more known in Denmark. This release, Velvet Noise, is their debut album.

A bunch of raunchy guys made some velvet noise? Well, I don't know why they chose the name of Raunchy for the band, but the album title describes the music well. Sometimes it's so soft, it feels like the touch of velvet, but in the next turn it's rumbling noise. It's music you can't easily categorize. It's modern, mixing extreme metal with industrial, and some harmonic melodies that normally don't fit in the formentioned styles. We can also talk about nu-metal influences, hardcore aggression, the chaos of industrial music, futuristic guitar and synth solos. The synthetizer sometimes sound a bit gothic, giving dark atmosphere to some of the songs. We can say they got really far from their beginning when they used to play thrash covers. If you want to hear band names to compare, I can mention Machine Head, Prong and some others as their influences but in fact these names can't describe Raunchy's music.

The opening track 'Twelve Feet Tall' is already an intersting song with many changes. It starts off with fast drum beatings, after the first seconds it slows down into a catchy rock 'n' roll song, turning into some nervous futurism and they give some weird pop rhythm to it near to the end. The whole song is so distracted. An amazing 5 minutes! I don't want to analyse the whole album but some songs are as varied and interesting as this first one. These are 'Drive', 'Leech', 'Crack of Dawn', whose intro has a special mood that stays with you through till the end of the song. And also the last track 'Never Be', though that may sound a bit too popular, but despite the soft melodies it tenses with energy and aggression. The rest of the songs are also varied and heavy but somehow they didn't catch my attention.

I think this album will be under discussion for a long time but one thing's for sure, you need to listen to it several times before you can make opinion on it.

Tracklist:
1. Twelve Feet Tall
2. Bleeding
3. Drive
4. Tonight
5. Leech
6. My Game
7. Crack Of Dawn
8. Out Of Sight
9. This Is Not An Exit
10. Never Be

Length: 51:44

Raunchy Official Homepage
Nuclear Blast Homepage

I know a few metal bands from Denmark ;-)

This is an excellent album, but I agree that it takes some time to realize this. You don't mention "Bleeding"- my favorite on the album. This is a great and very powerful song with some great drums.

Btw. they kick ass live

anderZ

--
www.revelationz.net