Raw Black Metal With A Medieval/Pagan Atmosphere

Addo_Of_Nex

Fuck of Death
Nov 9, 2007
Peoria, Illinois
I've never bothered to do any extensive listening in this form of black metal, though my interest in it has suddenly been aroused.

I'm looking for something that is relatively raw and minimalistic, yet contains a great amount of atmosphere that evokes a feeling as if the listener is storming a medieval battlefield or participating in a primitive ritualistic sacrifice (and anything of that nature).

The album closest to what I'm looking for would be Absurd's Facta Loquuntur, if that gives you an idea of what I'm looking to hear.

Graveland - ...basically anything?
Stutthof - And Cosmos From Ashes To Dust (I think you have this though)
Hellveto (not really raw)
Nehëmah maybe
Raate

Definitely get Raate in that case, their album Sielu, Linna is awesome, and their demo should be streamable on last.fm if you want before you get it.

This isn't on par with what you want but have you checked out Infernal War yet? Kickass shit right there.

I have to reccomend Nechrist by Nokturnal Mortum. Not the rawest thing ever but it's freaking great with these segments that sound like pagan hoe-downs or something. Best sound effects I've ever heard.

Mathiäs;7227936 said:
This isn't on par with what you want but have you checked out Infernal War yet? Kickass shit right there.

I still need to thank you for telling me about them a while back. I typically dislike that style of black metal, but something about them is special. Redesekration receives plays from me quite frequently.

Finding an album within Black Metal as spirited and utterly heartfelt as Facta Loquuntur won't be an easy task as far as I'm concerned. The album certainly has a strong medieval and pagan atmosphere, but not in the same sense of most bands that are tagged with such a description (which is usually through extensive use of folk instruments). The closest thing to what I think you're looking for is Graveland's Thousand Swords - an album which I'm sure you're already acquainted with. If that is what you're looking for, listen to these:

Sacrilegium - Wicher
Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil
Branikald - Stormheit
Mock - Vinterlandet
Hades - Again Shall Be

Something along the lines of Thousand Swords is just what I'm looking for. I'm simply infatuated with the ability of bands of this nature to create such a powerful atmosphere with the most simple and minimalistic use of instruments. Much more effective, genuine, and moving than most bands who utilize damn near an entire orchestra to achieve an "epic" feel.

Thankfully, I have not actually listened to any of the aforementioned albums, but I will do so. Thanks.