Ray Gillen & Sab Remasters

TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

Halcyon Way Sufferer
Jan 7, 2002
The Seventh Star and Eternal Idol Deluxe Editions arrived today and I'm quite pleased. Now the live show isn't much above a boot and the EI songs are of demo quality but... It's Ray singing :headbang:

As much as I loved the Martin era and Badlands I wish Ray stuck it out with Sabbath. He does a great job with the Dio & Hughes songs and adds life to the Ozzy chestnuts. Hope Born Again, Headless Cross and Tyr are next. :devil:

The Seventh Star and Eternal Idol Deluxe Editions arrived today and I'm quite pleased. Now the live show isn't much above a boot and the EI songs are of demo quality but... It's Ray singing :headbang:

As much as I loved the Martin era and Badlands I wish Ray stuck it out with Sabbath. He does a great job with the Dio & Hughes songs and adds life to the Ozzy chestnuts. Hope Born Again, Headless Cross and Tyr are next. :devil:

I have got to pick those up. Are they available only as imports?

Seventh Star will probably be meh, as the album was pretty garbage to begin with, but I hope to pick up Eternal Idol at some point, for Ray's vocal take of the album.

Loved both records back in the 80s. Even Kerrang gave a 5 K review to 7th Star. I got mine via amazon uk for $ 30 including shipping.

How does the bonus material sound, especially the live stuff on 7th star? Did the come up with a soundboard source, or is the audience recordings that have been in bootleg circulation for years?

I think if you previously have a copy of the Hammersmith show, the cd is a slight improvement. It's nowhere near the Dio Hammersmith release from 3-4 years back in terms of sound quality.

Seventh Star will probably be meh, as the album was pretty garbage to begin with

Why so many people hate that album? I still consider it the first solo Iommi record and I like it a lot, and I mean a lot more than the second one (the first under his moniker). Good 80's metal.

Dunno as it's always been top notch to my ears. Hughes gives a stellar performance. The only Iommi album I find boring is the one circa 2000 with all the guest stars.

Why so many people hate that album? I still consider it the first solo Iommi record and I like it a lot, and I mean a lot more than the second one (the first under his moniker). Good 80's metal.

I love Seventh Star, although it doesn't really sound like a BS album... which is probably why it gets so much flack. None of the post-Dio era BS albums get the respect they deserve.

None of the post-Dio era BS albums get the respect they deserve.

Very true, even considering most people have a deep respect for Tony Martin era. I guess many can't see BS without at least Geezer (for which the "Cross Purposes" is great and pretty underrated).

I love BOTH of these records, and have boots of the extras.....makes it hard for me to spend top dollar for either.

As others have said, the Seventh Star is, for all intent & purpose, the first Iommi solo record (which was in fact the original vision for it). The production is lame but it was a product of the mid 80s, so it's expected. Good tunes and a KILLER Hughes performance.

Eternal Idol is a classic Sabbath record, IMO. The title track is among the most epic and haunting tunes the Maestro ever penned! Great stuff!

I love Seventh Star, although it doesn't really sound like a BS album... which is probably why it gets so much flack. None of the post-Dio era BS albums get the respect they deserve.

>implying Headless Cross, Tyr, and Forbidden* deserve respect

1229252128728s.jpg

*left out 7th Star because it's not Sabbath, and Eternal Idol and Cross Purposes because they're actually half-decent.