Re-amping without a Reamp box ?

Plendakor

Oct 30, 2010
Hey. I have a GT-10 and a FA-66 interface.

I have 4 main outputs on the FA-66, 1&2 are Left&Right outputs and are controlled by the volume knob and goes into the monitors. Output 3&4 are not connected and independant of the volume knob.

In my DAW, I can assign a track to playback in the 3 or 4 output, and bring it back into the GT-10 for re-amping, given that I recorded it "raw".

Questions: since the playback is full-volume... I cannot plug it back into the GT-10's input... the signal is way too loud. Is this what a Re-amp box is for ?

Can I plug this signal in the GT-10 "return" of the effect loop in some way, so make it work like if it was the unamplified signal from the guitar that goes into the input ?

A reamp box will attenuate the signal and remove hums and noise you might get because of ground issues. anyway why wont you try to reduce level on the output of the card?

A reamp box is not only like an attenuation box, but changes the impedance of the signal to something your amplifier is used to seeing. Also, I think you can reamp through the fx return because it's after the preamp, but you still need the attenuation to -10 dbV.

Lok up Petersen Goodwyn on google and find diy recording gear or something, I'm drunk. The line 2 amp box is cheap and does the job extremely well.

so lemme see: you want drum patterns but without really paying, and you also want a reamp box but without paying. What's next, looking for someone to upload you a brand new guitar? :lol:

Sometime ghetto reamping can work well enough, sometime works bad.
I`m prefer reamping without any attenuation (using modded ProRMP) to get same level as guitar straight to amp.
My interface have 0 dbFS=+20 dbu (peak).
Reamping without reamp box usually can lead to higher noise, difference in tone can be subtle, in my case difference can be due to lower output without reamper.

A reamp box is not only like an attenuation box, but changes the impedance of the signal to something your amplifier is used to seeing. Also, I think you can reamp through the fx return because it's after the preamp, but you still need the attenuation to -10 dbV.

Lok up Petersen Goodwyn on google and find diy recording gear or something, I'm drunk. The line 2 amp box is cheap and does the job extremely well.

I will look that up, thanks ! So to have the -10 dbV, could I just lower the volume of the track to output to that effect ?

so lemme see: you want drum patterns but without really paying, and you also want a reamp box but without paying. What's next, looking for someone to upload you a brand new guitar? :lol:

Yes I wanted free drum samples, it exists. Now, if I have the equipment to re-amp without a 400$ re-amp box, it'd be stupid to buy a 400$ re-amp box, don't you thing ?

Do you have a DI? Just run it backwards. Problem solved.

I've read that, but like I said, the output is unregulated because it's meant to go through a mixer so I don't know if it was appropriate. Will read more though thank you.

Sometime ghetto reamping can work well enough, sometime works bad.
I`m prefer reamping without any attenuation (using modded ProRMP) to get same level as guitar straight to amp.
My interface have 0 dbFS=+20 dbu (peak).
Reamping without reamp box usually can lead to higher noise, difference in tone can be subtle, in my case difference can be due to lower output without reamper.

So I checked the ProRMP and it says it's a Re-amp box ?

The backwards passive DI works fine. It isn't as clean for obvious reasons but it certainly works. You can always try straight from your interface, slowly bringing up the output. If you want it to sound as good as possible as simply as possible then buy a reamp box. Otherwise try one of the other two techniques and see where the get you. You aren't going to hurt anything as long as you don't start out with everything turned up all of the way or send something that isn't a guitar out (drums could be bad). Worst case scenario you've wasted ten minutes.

Don't confuse yourself by over thinking this. There is nothing "unregulated" about your DAW output. It is effectively the output of a digital mixer with complete control of level.

Yeah try going straight from your interface and see what it's like. I've a friend that does this and claims it works fine. Personally I like having the level control on my little labs redeye and I've used the ground lift on it on several occasions to remove noise. Thats something you cannot do if you have a grounding issue going from your interface.

Well I just want to say that I'm actually routing the output into the GT-10's input and it works just like if I was playing with my guitar - no crazy volume or anything. Re-amping works like a charm, no noise or whatever.

<Is it possible that the Gt-10 was made with re-amping in mind/ with the input adapted for this ?

If it sounds good, it works. That's all that matters. Most likely the output of the GT-10 is low level. But even if it was higher output the input acts like with any guitar pickup and you get more distortion when the level is raised.