Re-recorded Ecliptica to be released Oct. 24

I'm stoked....been wanting a more HD version of this album for a while.

I'm calling it right now... I predict next year's PP will include a special full album set from Sonata. Either Silence or Ecliptica.

p18vup305qfu818a9e3k10oi1pmq4.jpg

I don't see the point...original sounds fine. I'll listen to this though since I'm a Sonata fanboy.

Agreed. Not seeing the point in this.

With Kakko's change in writing style, I really hope he doesn't jack this album up.

I don't know if I could do any more than listen to this on spotify.

Nothing wrong with the original.
One of the best power metal albums of all time, IMHO.

I guess it's a final chance to recapture old glory.

While I haven't heard it, folks say their newest is more of a "return to form"

I have skipped their passed two or three I think.

Just lost interest after Reckoning Night.

I agree that this album performed in its entirety would be a cool set for Prog Power, and is a solid prediction.

The album was remastered 6 years ago; I don't think this is necessary. The remaster sounds great and I can't see them recapturing much of the energy that made Ecliptica a great album after 15 years and with only two band members left from the original session.

I agree that Ecliptica sounds fine, but it's a smidge less well produced than the albums that came after. Secondly, there are a couple of songs on the album that while good, could be made a little better, like Destruction Preventer and Unopened. Plus the live version of Kingdom for a Heart is a little better than the album version, IMO, so it makes sense that they'd release the new version as the first single.

Not sure this was needed, but I am not gonna bitch about it. 1) No matter how it sounds, I still have the original 2) it does not seem like it is taking away from touring or progress toward a next album. So even if I don't dig it, my panties will remain unbunched.

Like so many have said already, I don't see the point. Nevertheless, I'm curious to hear it. As there already is a remaster and Kakko probably won't hit them sweet high notes it all seems a bit redundant, but hey. It's Sonata.

The album is only 15 years old, what can a re-recording do that a remaster can't? It's not like it's ancient sounding or anything. Still, I guess I'd give it a listen, though my expectations are pretty low. Will love to hear Full Moon, at least.

My thinking is that the band has been playing many of the songs live for 15 years. No doubt they have a couple of subtle differences that they have been doing for each song, and they have a few new members that originally did not play those songs on the album. I look forward for new takes on old stuff, its interesting to me at least. And there have definitely been advances in recording/producing/sound quality for albums in the last 15 years....

I'm surprised no one's mentioned that the band already re-recorded My Land and Replica in 2006.

If those songs are any indication, the new versions will be more polished but less energetic than the originals.

As for 15 years, that actually is a long ass time. I remember picking up Quiet Riot's album that had re-recordings of their classic songs, and that came out 16 years after Metal Health. Maybe it's because I was a kid in 1983, but by 1999, 1983 seemed like ancient history.