Re: Robert Trujilllo joining Metallica

lurch70

Sep 27, 2002
NYC
I do not post much on this forum, but I am a lurker and enjoy the good intelligent converstions here.

Also I am an old school Metallica fan that has lost hope as many others for getting another convincing and trully inspired release from them.

That being said, what do you think on the news of Robert Trujillo joining Metallica? What influence do you think he will have on them based on his past work? Or do you think he is just a hired hand?

Would also be interested in Steve's opinion on this ...

Right now I'm really not sure how I feel. Rob's awesome, but I get this sneaky suspicion that he's exactly what they need to happen in order to make a big comeback. We shall see, but it seems like he's really happy, so more power to him. What I'd really like to know, however, is whether or not this means Geezer is going to go back to play with Ozzy for a bit.

I agree. I think he'll be just a hired gun. Lars will see to that. So his talent is wasted in that band (or is it corporation now?).

NO ONE BEATS CLIFF, SCINCE CLIFF DIED THEY HAVE
SLOWLY, BUT SHURLY DESENDED INTO CRAPPY-NESS.

EVEN IF METALLICAS NEW ALBUM IS HEAVY,
THEY HURT THE METAL SCENE AND LEFT THE FANS FEELLING
BETRAYED BY A BAND THEY ONCE HAD FAITH IN,
WHICH IS NOW A THE BIGGEST FORM OF
'MAINSTREAM HEAVY-ROCK' IN THE WORLD TODAY.

THANKS ALOT METALLICA, FUCK YOU AND BOB ROCK.

IF YOU REALLY WANTED THE OLD SOUND FOR THIS NEW ALBUM,
WHY DONT YOU GO & GET FLEMMING RASMUSSEN BACK?

ITS BULLSHIT, NOTHING TOPS THE OLD STUFF.

Hmmmmm...yes, they may go back to the old Burton-Metallica. If only they can get Lars' head out from up his own a$$.

Keep dreaming, they're cozy in their mansions. They won't change.

Yep, CliffEm! Ozzy could use you! If only he can remember your name after 5 seconds of meeting you (mumble mumble mumble sharrron! mumble mumble), or remember his own name for that matter.

It's a pity that the only words that I can understand are "sharon" and "fuck" and that's it. He should have laid off the drugs earlier on, then maybe he could talk understandibly.

Nice thought, but I think we all know the reality of the situation.
They're still gonna suck!
I mean "St. Anger"...What kinda cheesy-ass shit title is that!!!
They should've just called it "ANGER" and made every song sound like
"Battery" and "Fight fire with fire".
Now THAT would be a Metallica album!!!

NP: Iron Maiden-Virtual XI

Unregistered said:
Yep, CliffEm! Ozzy could use you! If only he can remember your name after 5 seconds of meeting you (mumble mumble mumble sharrron! mumble mumble), or remember his own name for that matter.

It's a pity that the only words that I can understand are "sharon" and "fuck" and that's it. He should have laid off the drugs earlier on, then maybe he could talk understandibly.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
That rules!!!!

CliffEmAll said:
Nice thought, but I think we all know the reality of the situation.
They're still gonna suck!
I mean "St. Anger"...What kinda cheesy-ass shit title is that!!!
They should've just called it "ANGER" and made every song sound like
"Battery" and "Fight fire with fire".
Now THAT would be a Metallica album!!!

NP: Iron Maiden-Virtual XI

That would suck. It's not 1986 anymore. I don't udnerstand why so many people want them to move BACKWARDS and try to sound like they did 2 decades ago, it isn't possible. They have different attitudes and are different people than they were 17 years ago, hell, everyone changes over a span of time, and that change affects music as well as attitude and such.

Touche'.....Your absolutely right.
But, METALLICA completely abandoned their "Thrash" roots.
I don't expect them to re-tread the same ground, just keep things some-what familiar.
Bands like: RUSH, King Crimson, YES, Dream Theater, and Megadeth (to name a few) manage to sound different with each release without alienating their fans.
Why can't METALLICA ???

NP: Flotsam and Jetsom- Unnatural Selection

True. And it wasn't over a 17 year period that they changed either. I remember after "and justice for all came" out, I waited 5 years for the next album. "Black" surfaced and it was like, BAM!, it's the hard rock band Metallica. And since then their songs have sounded the same, like bad clones of the previous record. Black, Load, Reload, what's the difference?

They even had a country song on one of their new style albums. What was the point of that? It made no sense. It couldn't be to get a wider fan base (what country lover would want to listen to Metallica play country?). If it was to prove they could be diverse, then they should keep it in the practice room, or play in a country bar.

CliffEmAll said:
I don't expect them to re-tread the same ground, just keep things some-what familiar.
Bands like: RUSH, King Crimson, YES, Dream Theater, and Megadeth (to name a few) manage to sound different with each release without alienating their fans.
Why can't METALLICA ???

Several things said are simply not true.

There didn't even exist sucha thing as "thrash" when Metallica started, that was a label put on them way after, so why should they confine themselves to labels other people have put on them?

A lot of Rush fans that liked the early stuff felt alienated by their electronic era.

And I don't think there was a Megadeth fan who WASN'T alienated by the piece of crap that was Risk.

But fans don't matter, to put it bluntly, a band who doesn't write what THEY feel they want to are real "sell outs" (that's the silliest word of all time, it just reeks of juvenile metal fans desperate to fit in). What fans think they should do doesn't really matter.

I don't like their newer albums, but nobody forces me to buy them or listen to them.

CliffEmAll said:
Why can't METALLICA ???

NP: Flotsam and Jetsom- Unnatural Selection

Rush alienated a LOT of people-look and see how many fans they have of only Moving Pictures and earlier material. And you mean to tell me Yes didn't alienate lots of people with their totally different 80's pop sound? Or Megadeth, with the atrocity known as Risk? King Crimson is known for having fans of only one era and others who ignore other eras completely. They changed a LOT more than any of the other bands on here, a lot of their albums are unrecognizeable from one another.

Unregistered- Black, Load, Reload have different sounds. Black has a more streamlined metal sound whilethe other two are slower and bluesier. And Mama Said, the country song, is about James' mother and it's pretty damn emotional. I don't see the problem with them including it on an album, it's THEIR music.

Uhm. I think it is impossible to compare King Crimson's works with those from Metallica.

While Robert Fripp always knew where to go (his composing skill are impressive) and never did care about selling recordz...metallica probably lost themselves with the metal crisis of the early '90...with the coming of the grunge/era.

They simply started playing something else for one simple reason.

And Megadeth kill.

/Z/ said:
Right now I'm really not sure how I feel. Rob's awesome, but I get this sneaky suspicion that he's exactly what they need to happen in order to make a big comeback. We shall see, but it seems like he's really happy, so more power to him. What I'd really like to know, however, is whether or not this means Geezer is going to go back to play with Ozzy for a bit.

It's Jason Newstead, in OZZY.................Now........... :devil:
OZZY & METALLICA, do a trade............. :heh:

Since there is alot of radically different veiws towards Metallica than mine, I suppose I apologize for all the mean and hurtful things I've said about them. I wouldn't want Lars to sue. I suppose I'm too narrow-minded by using sell-out and Metallica in the same sentence (shame on me).

So, I have one last thing to say: Steve, maybe you should get streaks in your hair, do a country tribute to mama, and be more streamlined and mainstream, because it's acceptable to alienate your fans.