Read what Mikael had to say about this message board!

Whoops. I hope he's not talking about us (kayo dot). Greg, who hung out with them on their bus, has only ever had nice things to say about Opeth and has never slagged them.

FuSoYa said:
Whoops. I hope he's not talking about us (kayo dot). Greg, who hung out with them on their bus, has only ever had nice things to say about Opeth and has never slagged them.
Except calling Opeth's riffs copy&paste you mean?

No, Greg never did that. I, on the other hand, did make the copy&paste comment at one point or another. To quite the contrary Greg has publicly disagreed with most everything I have ever opined about Opeth's music.

I'd hope that you all, and Mikael included, are rational enough persons to understand the difference between two individual people. When I express an opinion, it doesn't mean I'm expressing the opinion of everyone I'm associated with.

Greg is the farthest thing from two-faced. He surely wanted to hang out with them because he likes their music, and the picture was posted here to show you guys that an offhanded opinon posted on the internet shouldn't hold so much weight. It's a shame that it seems to have been misunderstood in some way.

I am not into MotW/KayoDot to be able differentiate between you and Greg, sorry... looks like Mike isn't either... but still why the hell would you make that comment in an interview? I surely have my opinions about many bands, but if I was a famous and respected person in the metal community like you are, I would never make negative comments about bands in interviews available to public. I don't think it is a very "nice" thing to do, but whatever who am I to teach you how to behave...

FuSoYa said:

Correct.

Baliset is...err...chill!

commandante, of course i agree it's never a good thing for a person to try and hurt another. When i make or have made comments like that, it's not with the intention of hurting the artists referenced. I feel that if a person is in the position of being a public figure, rather than walking on eggshells and keeping opinions to themselves, as you suggested, they should use their position to try to affect their environment regarding issues that are important to them. It's a level of proactivism. An issue that's important to me is the state of the metal scene and metal music as an art form. So if I feel there's something that's affecting these things in a negative way, I see it as important to talk about it, to hopefully help other people become aware so that ultimately the problem can be fixed. (note: not saying that Opeth per se is a problem.)

Unfortunately when this happens in interviews, there's usually not the time or space to talk about it in depth, and then only certain comments or bits of the story get filtered through.

I want to say your humble and honest posts made me want to check out MotW/KayoDot... Where should I start? Choirs of the Eye or can you recommend me a MotW album?

commandante said:
I want to say your humble and honest posts made me want to check out MotW/KayoDot... Where should I start? Choirs of the Eye or can you recommend me a MotW album?
Hey man! Don't support that band! They always bash Opeth(our Gods) in interviews!

Awesome interview!
It´s really curious how people, in general, always have something to bitch about. I guess is part of human nature and complaints are part of our flesh. Personally, I believe people feel envy or some shit like that so in order to feel better about themselves, they have to give shit to the rest of human beings. Strange, weak creatures, we are.

commandante said:
I am not into MotW/KayoDot to be able differentiate between you and Greg, sorry... looks like Mike isn't either... but still why the hell would you make that comment in an interview? I surely have my opinions about many bands, but if I was a famous and respected person in the metal community like you are, I would never make negative comments about bands in interviews available to public. I don't think it is a very "nice" thing to do, but whatever who am I to teach you how to behave...
C'mon, let's not beat a dead horse now.

The fat thing is just playful fun. I've never called Mikael fat... at the very most during the first US tour, opening for Nevermore he had a bit of a pot and alot of people liked to poke a bit of playful fun. Yknow much like you do with friends. So I think it's all good and Mikael can take it like that.

good read.. thx... if you are reading mikael.. any of you other guys from the band..

\m/ thx for all the effort!! The anahiemen show was awesome.. as was the two other gigs I have been to over the past two years.. thx for it all.