ReaL Drums, Real Brass, Real Marshall Cab

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
this is not metal, but fun anyway....

this is just the first roughmix, no automation etc yet....

ska-punk-crossover-pop-fun

I'll probably change everything complete again tomorrow...but this is todays version...tell me what you think ;)
(try to view it from a "not metal only" pov ;) )

it's my Yamaha Recording Custom with the pearl sensitone elite custom alloy btw

...dist guits are probably a bit too loud

The snare sounds weird. Almost like the close-mic'd sample is coming just after the OH snare. and I think the dist guitars are too scooped. Were you going for like a Nightwish vibe with them?

Only other thing is I'd make the vocals completely dry when they're solo'd, for more effect. Otherwise sounds awesome.

The individual tones are beautiful.

The organ is too loud and feels a little out of time in the mix.

The guitars are too loud and need less highs.

The brass needs to be panned "better." Everything gets cluttered a bit when the extra instruments come in. I think some of the brass may need some high shelving/high passing so it doesn't sound so mushy. A little reverb would help give them space as well.

I'm liking what I hear so far, but I love to be constructive. Hopefully it will help you out, Lasse!

hmm the first one that sticks out is the vocals being quiet in the verses but I guess with automation it will get sorted at that stage,

the mix as a whole sounds maybe a touch middy (if that makes any sense) so maybe some eq'ing of some parts to get rid of this,

maybe high shelf the guitars up a tad? I felt they could have had more bite (even with the genre)

lead guitar sounds mint (roll off the top a touch maybe?) but yeah my favourite part of the song

You should record more stuff like this Lasse, this sounds fucking ace! The brass sounds so gooooooood

just noticed how fucking pro the vocal sound is, goddamn.

what mic and pre did you use on this guy? and what compressor?

just noticed how fucking pro the vocal sound is, goddamn.

what mic and pre did you use on this guy? and what compressor?

thanks.
can't remember actually....414 or sm7...I think sm7.
Preamp was API.
I'm not sure if I had my smart C2 or the LA Audio CCII on the way in......
Edit: no, it was the Safe Sound Audio P1 great comp!.
then some api 2500 in the mix.

the only EQ is a 2dB boost around 3k if I recall correctly

totally
i wanna get drunk and skank the day away right about now haha

I think i might actually do that.....:loco:

good stuff lasse, although i think the guitars could do with a little bit more of a fender jangle to them as opposed to the metal roar, just a matter of taste though really and what i'm used to in the genre
Solo is a bit loud too
I absolutely love the vocal sound, brilliant work

Good mix, I like the vocal production a lot. My only worry is about the gain on guitar (too much for this style) and maybe a little less click in the kick

Good mix, I like the vocal production a lot. My only worry is about the gain on guitar (too much for this style) and maybe a little less click in the kick

thanks.
this song was supposed to go a bit in the "metal" direction with the guitars...
we've recorded two more in the same session that will be more rock, one even oldschool Huey Lewis :)

DYA LIKE HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS?

ap_237.jpg