REAL music critics...

I actually think allmusic is a good source for music reviews. It may be one of the most mainstream, but it still has many good reviews.

The main thing that irks me though is that they seem absolutely unwilling to give ANY underground metal 5 stars. The ONLY metal albums that get 5 stars are the most acclaimed ones (read: not necessarily the BEST ones). On the other hand 5 stars seem to pop up a lot more often in other styles of music. That's still a nitpick though...I like allmusic overall.

Oh my other complaint is that too often they simply mirror popular press, without being critical, or individual in their views. They are pretty nice to metal but only ever praise those that receive it elsewhere, it seems.

chaveta said:
I'm assuming that all they have up are positive reviews, they don't seem to put the negative ones. I searched for 50 cent and they gave "get rich or die tryin" 4 1/2 .. these guys rule.

Not so, just they have a fuckload of reviewers who like different styles of music. Still they seem to give some really shit records good scores...like Missy Elliot albums. Blerugh.

Static said:
I actually think allmusic is a good source for music reviews. It may be one of the most mainstream, but it still has many good reviews.

The main thing that irks me though is that they seem absolutely unwilling to give ANY underground metal 5 stars. The ONLY metal albums that get 5 stars are the most acclaimed ones (read: not necessarily the BEST ones).

the issue here is that underground metalheads are way too unbiased when it comes to the metal they listen to. i know plenty of people that would give bands like shadows fall, or diabolical masquerade or pain of salvation or even dimmu borgir 5 stars.....5 stars out of 5 stars implies perfection....and i can think of very very very few albums of any genre which should receive perfect scores....but perhaps thats just me? :erk:

Actually it is very rare to come upon an album that is absolutely perfect in every aspect. So I have no beef with some of the albums not getting 5 stars.

Yet when I see the reviewers give an album such as, "St Anger", four 1/2 stars it truly saddens me. That is one of the worst albums I have ever heard in my entire life. It doesn't even deserve 1 star in my opinion.
I can hear it now ... those pathetic tunes on that album, the pubescent, rage-filled, punk lyrics that Hetfield keeps grunting, those irritating snare drums pounded on by one of the worst drummers known to man, and the sloppy guitar riffs. God help them.

NineFeetUnderground said:
the issue here is that underground metalheads are way too unbiased when it comes to the metal they listen to. i know plenty of people that would give bands like shadows fall, or diabolical masquerade or pain of salvation or even dimmu borgir 5 stars.....5 stars out of 5 stars implies perfection....and i can think of very very very few albums of any genre which should receive perfect scores....but perhaps thats just me? :erk:

I would consider giving Death Cult Armaggedon 5 stars, cos I think it is an awesome album...but none of their other ones, nor those others bands.

I do think some of their five star albums are anything but. Master of Puppets = 5 stars. Imo, no it doesn't...Ride The Lightning is probably much better and allmusic are just mirroring the general consensus. Deep Purple's Machine Head = 5 stars? No, it has a few weaker songs, they are just whoring up to Smoke On The Water. Still an amazing album, but perfect? Not by any means. Led Zeppelin albums also don't deserve that many 5 star ratings in my opinion. And Paranoid isn't even as good as Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and yet it gets 5, whereas SBS doesn't. Blah.

Of course, it is all just opinion, but their mirroring of popular views irks me a lot, I see it a lot there. Still, I like allmusic, as I said earlier.

i know plenty of people that would give bands like shadows fall, or diabolical masquerade or pain of salvation or even dimmu borgir 5 stars.....

I don't know that many intelligent people, hence I wonder how YOU'd know 'plenty of people' that'd give POS' albums 5 stars out of 5....

Static said:
I would consider giving Death Cult Armaggedon 5 stars, cos I think it is an awesome album...but none of their other ones, nor those others bands.

I do think some of their five star albums are anything but. Master of Puppets = 5 stars. Imo, no it doesn't...Ride The Lightning is probably much better and allmusic are just mirroring the general consensus. Deep Purple's Machine Head = 5 stars? No, it has a few weaker songs, they are just whoring up to Smoke On The Water. Still an amazing album, but perfect? Not by any means. Led Zeppelin albums also don't deserve that many 5 star ratings in my opinion. And Paranoid isn't even as good as Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and yet it gets 5, whereas SBS doesn't. Blah.

Of course, it is all just opinion, but their mirroring of popular views irks me a lot, I see it a lot there. Still, I like allmusic, as I said earlier.

You say deathcult armageddon deserves 5 not Deep Purple - machinehead?
LOL

What pisses me off more than anything is when someone likes a band / song / album just because its a "classic" and is supposedly better than anything else out today. But I guess that's a little off-topic, eh?

5 stars out of 5 stars implies perfection....and i can think of very very very few albums of any genre which should receive perfect scores....but perhaps thats just me?

>> you are not alone...

Opeth is a really good band, one of my favorites. However, in no way do they deserve a perfect score.

Just my opinion though...