Reality TV hits a new low?

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Obviously a biased article, but interesting.

The 'Daddy' of TV Tastelessness
By Adam Pertman
Adam Pertman is executive director of the Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute and author of "Adoption Nation: How the Adoption Revolution Is Transforming America" (Basic Books, 2000).

December 21, 2004

In real life, people generally don't crawl into coffins with tarantulas. They tend not to get extensive surgery to reconstruct the way they look, and they rarely get to compete for huge amounts of money by marrying a stranger or getting yelled at by ............

Most so-called reality shows don't depict reality, of course. Rather, they create fantasies (whether beautiful or grotesque) designed to appeal to dreamers, cynics and voyeurs. And, because those traits run though most people's personalities, millions tune in to watch all sorts of mortifying, salacious and occasionally heartwarming programs.

The formula doesn't always work, however, especially when it deeply offends big segments of the potential audience. A case in point was the Fox special "Seriously, Dude, I'm Gay," in which two men competed for $50,000 by pretending they weren't straight; the network canceled the show before it aired earlier this year because of an outcry from gay activists, who described it as "an exercise in systemic humiliation."

The same — along with words like "outrageous" and "revolting" — could be said about the latest Fox offering, "Who's Your Daddy?" In this perverse program, a woman who was adopted as an infant wins $100,000 if she can determine which of eight men is her biological father. But if she guesses wrong, the impostor who fools her gets the cash.

Though the show isn't scheduled to run until early January, it already has generated a furor in the adoption community — which is populated by tens of millions of people whom the show's producers presumably see as potential viewers. Few of them will be watching, though, except perhaps to figure out which sponsors to boycott. Here's why:

For generations, adoption in this country was characterized by denial, degradation and deceit. Many adoptive parents were counseled to pretend they'd given birth to their children. It was considered "good practice" to advise biological mothers (and fathers, when they were involved) to forget about the children they had created and "move on." Adopted people were treated differently: They were routinely denied their medical histories in order to maintain secrecy, for instance, and they were told that the most human of instincts — wanting to know who you are and where you came from — did not apply to them.

The shame and stigmas that grew out of those mistaken notions, mercifully, are being replaced by honesty and pride as adoption emerges from the shadows and moves into the social mainstream. But remnants of the past remain, and "Who's Your Daddy?" is a clear outgrowth of those remnants in several ways.

First, many people make errors relating to adoption, even when they mean well, because the process has been so secretive. So television producers aren't likely to be aware of the research and experience showing that sensitive, highly emotional occasions like reunions are best accomplished methodically and privately — rather than in a game-show format in front of millions of gawkers. "Insensitive" is the mildest word to describe the artificial, exploitative way Fox intends to depict this fast-growing phenomenon of reunions.

Second, and most pointedly, the sole reason Fox could attract anyone to be on its program is that antiquated American adoption laws and policies make it exceedingly difficult for adoptees and biological parents to contact each other. So "Who's Your Daddy?" capitalizes on the vulnerabilities of the participants, who in turn agree to play because they have few other options and don't have the resources of a TV network to conduct a search.

This concept of reunion as mass entertainment has lots of other creepy flaws too. Cheapening such a profound experience by introducing cash prizes into it, for instance, does more than just raise concerns about the motives of the participants (who, with the exception of the impostors, are undoubtedly doing this for much better reasons); it also makes many in the adoption community bristle because money already causes enough problems and controversies in their world. Ditto for using deliberate deceit as part of the game: There has been far too much of that in the real world of adoption. The objective is to eliminate it, not find new uses for it.

The producers of "Who's Your Daddy?" contend critics should hold their fire until they've seen the show, which they describe as a "fun and healthy way" for adopted people and their birth fathers to get to know each other. But you don't have to watch something racist, sexist or homophobic to understand that it's a problem.

Speaking as an adoptive father, researcher and educator, I'd rather crawl into that coffin with the tarantulas. OK, maybe just get yelled at by...........???........

Last edited:
One Inch Man said:
for instance, does more than just raise concerns about the motives of the participants (who, with the exception of the impostors, are undoubtedly doing this for much better reasons)

I'd say the imposters are the only ones with pure motives. They aren't putting their family identity up for cash prizes, they're being ACTORS.

It's the child and parent who put themselves in this situation that have the fucked up motives. They are searching for truth for cash prizes? I'm sure they had to sign consent forms and such to participate in the first place, it's not like "SURPRISE, YOU'RE ON CANDID CAMERA!"

How come the parent doesn't stand to win anything? Everyone else gets a chance at the cash.

One Inch Man said:
But you don't have to watch something racist, sexist or homophobic to understand that it's a problem.

Censorship, eh? I don't like this person.

And 'reality TV' is worked in many respects like pro wrestling.

doesn't surprise me. and it won't surprise me if millions of dumbasses watch it.

BRING BACK QUALITY TELEVISION!

curb2.jpg

J. have you watched this show? You need to, really bad.

Jim LotFP said:
And 'reality TV' is worked in many respects like pro wrestling.
In some ways, yes. But pro wrestlers have a contract and get paid millions of dollars for being entertainers, whereas reality show idiots are there simply to win cash or get their 15 minutes.

I gave a huge rant about the situation of art, including television programs, in society today in an oral presentation I brought before my english class. I think my crowning achievement in that speech was drawing the conclusion that the artistic value of all the reality TV shows are equal to that of Jerry Springer.

NicodemiX, fight the power.
J. said:
No. I hear nothing but good things, though. What channel is it on?
HBO, but since I don't pay for even regular cable, I just watch the DVDs. It's pretty much like Seinfeld with every little minor thing coming full circle in the end, but set in a "real" environment so that you think Larry David's life really is like that, day in day out. Pure Comedy Gold.

J. said:
In some ways, yes. But pro wrestlers have a contract and get paid millions of dollars for being entertainers, whereas reality show idiots are there simply to win cash or get their 15 minutes.

Actually...

Saying pro wrestlers have a contract and get paid millions of dollars is a generalization equal to saying heavy metal musicians all have record deals and play to thousands in large arenas. It's only true of the slightest fraction of them. :p Most wrestlers work in front of a crowd of dozens and are lucky if they get paid enough to cover their gas expense.

And I find it hard to believe that if you don't win on something like Survivor that you walk away penniless. This many people drop their jobs and lives to go off somewhere for months? THAT is scary.

Jim LotFP said:
Saying pro wrestlers have a contract and get paid millions of dollars is a generalization equal to saying heavy metal musicians all have record deals and play to thousands in large arenas. It's only true of the slightest fraction of them. :p Most wrestlers work in front of a crowd of dozens and are lucky if they get paid enough to cover their gas expense.
Yeah, my bad. I was just talking about WWE since they are on TV once or twice a week, just like reality shows.

One Inch Man said:

The Kindergarten teacher, an optimist, will say that it is half full
the lawyer being a pessimist will say that it is half empty
the engineer will say that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

To me it depends on what's in the glass. Half water, I think "I might need more, but that's easy enough." Half milk I think "yep, that's enough." Half beer I say "GET ME A FULL FUCKIN' BEER YOU ASSHOLE!!!"

Tee hee hee!

But, in all seriousness, reading about that show made me feel very uncomfortable :erk: it's just........wrong!