Where did my thread go!! about Schwartzenegger's Bunny and Dog Final Solution

Declare war on stray dogs:
Schwarzenegger wants to repeal California's comprehensive law forcing animal shelters to hold stray cats and dogs up to six days before killing them, a budget-cutting move that has enraged pet adoption groups.

As a favor to the state's cash-poor counties and cities, Schwarzenegger has asked the state Legislature to reverse the 1998 law, which makes adoption of wayward pets the first priority of shelters instead of quickly putting them to death. The law is dubbed the Hayden Act, after former Santa Monica state senator and activist Tom Hayden.

"This is an issue that affects the care and protection of tens of thousands of stray animals, and will inflict heartbreak on a lot of owners and people in the animal adoption world," Hayden said Thursday.

The governor proposes a change in the law to allow birds, hamsters, potbellied pigs, rabbits, snakes, turtles and other animals that are not cats and dogs to be put to death immediately if the shelter favors that approach, animal rights groups said.

Schwarzenegger also would eliminate a requirement that people convicted of animal cruelty be prohibited from owning a pet for three years and be forced to pay for medical care for the animals they have mistreated.

Shelters no longer would be required to search for owners who have embedded microchips in their pets that store addresses and phone numbers.

lizard said:
The governor proposes a change in the law to allow birds, hamsters, potbellied pigs, rabbits, snakes, turtles and other animals that are not cats and dogs to be put to death immediately if the shelter favors that approach, animal rights groups said.

Shelters no longer would be required to search for owners who have embedded microchips in their pets that store addresses and phone numbers.

[/indent]
WTF? Don't birds not take up much room and are easy to care for? I'm sure a lot of people would adopt birds; I sure would.

And that's irrational to not search for owners if the info is available.

I have two parakeets and the part about them instantly putting those kinds of animals to death makes me sick

god alex that's such a bad excuse for putting animals to sleep or not liking them, because sometimes they attack people. people attack other people way more often. i'd rather be in a room with 20 wild dobermans than most of you people.
and also: dogbite wounds really don't have much of an effect on me since i worked in a coroner's office and decapitated toddlers are much more grotesque.

lizard said:
Schwarzenegger also would eliminate a requirement that people convicted of animal cruelty be prohibited from owning a pet for three years and be forced to pay for medical care for the animals they have mistreated.
I don't have a problem with this, provided anyone convicted of animal cruelty gets the chair.

w/e. she got bit by a dog. BFD. people get mauled by people all the time.
and some people (like my mom) are violently allergic to kitties and therefore, we can't have them around =[