Really diggin' the Municipal Waste guitar tone - anyone know more about this?

"Evil" Aidy

Mörti Viventi
Jul 15, 2007
Stamford, Lincs
Just saw them at Download Fest and the guitar tone was awesome.

Hearing it live it sounded just like it does on the Art of Partying album.

I'm think Ryan Waste uses a Marshall JCM 800 maybe?

Have a look at this picture on WIkipedia

Does anyone know more about this type of guitar tone? Am I hearing lots of mids with an overdrive booster pedal of some sort in there?

Tube screamer? Boss? (Have I just answered my own question? :lol:)

I can't make out what pedal it is from the picture.

Sounds like a classis thrash tone, a little bit of Exodus in there I think too.

2203 vertical inputs, iirc.

Not sure on the tone of the band, but most people use either a booster pedal or high gain pickups with 2203s.

I forget to mention; is this pic a UK or American one? If it's not near where they are located, it could be rented gear.

The pic on wikipedia seems to be from a gig in Finland I think.

Confused as hell now as it appears Ryan Waste is endorsed by Mesa Boogie and this old pic shows him using a Randall amp! With the same mystery pedal on the top of the amp though.

Maybe it's the sound of a Metal Zone pedal...:Spin:

Ryan and I are very good friends. He actually used to play bass for us. I'll find out what he is using for ya. Give me a few days though:)

Emailed Ryan this morning. Told him that I wanted to know his rig for Art of Partying, and whether or not Zeus did any re-amping.
As for the question of what that pedal is that he always has on his amp, no matter what he's playing through. Ryan has been a Metal Zone addict for as long as I've known him.

I saw these guys a while back and took some pictures. Wasn't able to hang up close and get better shots 'cause i twisted my ankle during the very first bands set, I was fucking pissed. Here are two shots I've cropped and brightened up so you can see the guitar dude's setup better:

munipalwaste_gear02.jpg

munipalwaste_gear01.jpg

Funny story behind that Randall head. It's old as fuck btw, but anyway... You'll notice that all the black Tolex is gone. When Ryan and I were roommates, before Waste was on Earache, he was playing bass for us. So, we used our basement as a practice space. Both Immortal Avenger and MW practiced down there. Well, the fucking basement was loaded with Rats, BIG FUCKERS! The rats chewed all the Black Tolex off of Ryan's head! They didn't fuck with anything else either. No cabs. My Triple XXX was untouched. Just Ryan's shitty Randall head, haha! We laughed our asses off!:lol:

Funny story behind that Randall head. It's old as fuck btw, but anyway... You'll notice that all the black Tolex is gone. When Ryan and I were roommates, before Waste was on Earache, he was playing bass for us. So, we used our basement as a practice space. Both Immortal Avenger and MW practiced down there. Well, the fucking basement was loaded with Rats, BIG FUCKERS! The rats chewed all the Black Tolex off of Ryan's head! They didn't fuck with anything else either. No cabs. My Triple XX was untouched. Just Ryan's shitty Randall head, haha! We laughed our asses off!:lol:

Haha that's fucked :)

I was wondering why it looked weird, I thought it was like yellow or something. Do you know what model it is?
My old bass player had one of those Fender Bassman 135 speaker cabs that was a 4x12 in a pyramid shape that got mutilated by rats in storage, I wish I could have heard that thing, seemed like a cool idea for a cab.

Ryan and I are very good friends. He actually used to play bass for us. I'll find out what he is using for ya. Give me a few days though:)

Emailed Ryan this morning. Told him that I wanted to know his rig for Art of Partying, and whether or not Zeus did any re-amping.
As for the question of what that pedal is that he always has on his amp, no matter what he's playing through. Ryan has been a Metal Zone addict for as long as I've known him.

I saw these guys a while back and took some pictures. Wasn't able to hang up close and get better shots 'cause i twisted my ankle during the very first bands set, I was fucking pissed. Here are two shots I've cropped and brightened up so you can see the guitar dude's setup better:

munipalwaste_gear02.jpg

munipalwaste_gear01.jpg

Funny story behind that Randall head. It's old as fuck btw, but anyway... You'll notice that all the black Tolex is gone. When Ryan and I were roommates, before Waste was on Earache, he was playing bass for us. So, we used our basement as a practice space. Both Immortal Avenger and MW practiced down there. Well, the fucking basement was loaded with Rats, BIG FUCKERS! The rats chewed all the Black Tolex off of Ryan's head! They didn't fuck with anything else either. No cabs. My Triple XXX was untouched. Just Ryan's shitty Randall head, haha! We laughed our asses off!:lol:

yeah, it's an old RG100H

Fuck man THANKS for all the info and posts!

I thought it sounded kinda "Metal-Zoney" - tone which I've heard a lot of people diss.

Funny how I semi-jokingly actually put in one of my earlier posts (post #3) "Perhaps it's the sound of a Metal Zone pedal"...

Cheers again dude. This forum FUCKING RULES.:kickass:

I like their tone - it sounds a lot like my '80s RG50 with an SD-1, especially the pinches.

[quote="Evil" Aidy;7362440]Fuck man THANKS for all the info and posts!

I thought it sounded kinda "Metal-Zoney" - tone which I've heard a lot of people diss.

Funny how I semi-jokingly actually put in one of my earlier posts (post #3) "Perhaps it's the sound of a Metal Zone pedal"...

Cheers again dude. This forum FUCKING RULES.:kickass:[/quote]

Well... He didn't track with that Metal Zone. I know that much. I'll get back to you as soon as I know his rig for "Art Of Partying". They did "Hazardous Mutation" with us, but I wasn't there for it. I'll check on that too though.

Well... He didn't track with that Metal Zone. I know that much. I'll get back to you as soon as I know his rig for "Art Of Partying". They did "Hazardous Mutation" with us, but I wasn't there for it. I'll check on that too though.

Cheers man that'd be awesome.

Great live tone and album tone all round! They kicked ass big time at Donington this year.

Okay... got an email back from Ryan this morning in regard to his rig for "The Art Of Partying"...

Ryan Waste:
"yeah it's the same setup i use live...mesa boogie triple rec through two marshall 1960's cranked all the way up. no re-amp."

There you go guys.

Okay... got an email back from Ryan this morning in regard to his rig for "The Art Of Partying"...

Ryan Waste:
"yeah it's the same setup i use live...mesa boogie triple rec through two marshall 1960's cranked all the way up. no re-amp."

There you go guys.

Mesa Boogie it is then, thanks for that!

You can see a Mesa Boogie in these pics from September 2006.