Reamp - mackie vlz 802 & Tube Ultragain Mic200

cococo

Dec 22, 2008
Hi guys, i have a question about whats better for tracking a guitar for reamp.
I have a mackie vlz 802 mixer, it has an integrated DI so you can plug your guitar directly into it. I have also a cheap mini tube preamp from behringer ( Tube Ultragain Mic200 http://www.behringer.com/en/products/mic200.aspx ).
I want to know your opinions about using this preamp before the mixer, I want to obtain a clear guitar signal for reamp.

thanks in advance! :)

Cocou

I have done some experiments and I will do some more this weekend; in my opinion the mic200 gives some colour and "fatness" to the signal, I dont know if this is bad for later reamp.

I have done some experiments and I will do some more this weekend; in my opinion the mic200 gives some colour and "fatness" to the signal, I dont know if this is bad for later reamp.

I personally would go for the most transparent and the most clean signal. I don't really want a DI to impart any tonal qualities of it's own unless it's for bass and something I desire in the final mix.

a tube DI is not a good idea in general for reamping. If you want that extra tube stage it would be more flexible to be able to add it in on the way out as opposed to the way in

Tube Ultragain MIC200 is pants. Utter rubbish. For anything.
Use the Mackie.

Thanks guys for your comments and help, I'll use the DI of the mackie. It sounds very clear indeed.