reamping problem

Paule

May 15, 2011
Koblenz, Germany
hey,

we finished recordings for our EP last week. after 4 days of editing i wanted to start reamping but i can't really get a good tone.

I've used my Mesa Rectifier and tried a 6505 and an ENGL Invader. Cab was a ENGL XXL and a Engl Pro. But my Guitarsound always was to fizzy or muddy.

maybe it's something wrong with my DI Files? there were recorded with a palmer PAN01 into my FastTrack8R. But i've got this soundproblem with every DI Track.

I've uploaded 2 DI Tracks with an unmixed Backingtrack. Maybe some one can help me?
I think we're going to look for some one who can reamp this EP? (4 Songs, 1 Guitar, Doubletracked).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5213028/Grave Digger.zip

thank you :)

LTD Horizon EMG 81 > Palmer DI > Direct Output > Palmer DI > MicPre Palmer Pan.

Uh sorry, Reamping Chain :D

FastTrack 8r > Palmer Daccapo > Ibanez TS > Head > ENGL XXL > SM57 > FastTrack 8r

I was having tons of issues with mic'ing and reamping... Just get your cab up off the floor and away from any walls- it seems when cabs are coupled to a floor in a room that has bad resonances (small room or a non-pro studio room) it just makes for aggravation.

outloaf: Really? I always heard that lifting an amp over the floor is not the best idea, keeping it on the ground (without wheels) gives a more "connected" feel for the amp. Atleast thats what i´ve been doing for some time now on every production i´m working/have been working on, with great results. But, i think best is to keep it away from the walls and if you have more than 4 walls in your rec-room you should definitely place the cab in a slight angle to the opposite side of the room to mind reflections flying back and forth.

Maybe too much cab-rumble/wrong cab positioning in the room?! I would give it a shot if you want a tight re-amped 5150 tone.

that would be nice!

But you're right, i've never experiment with the cab position in the room. I'm gonna try some different cab positions (withouth wheels) this evening.

In my tiny room if the cab isn't off the floor it's muddy even with the bass and mids all the way down, muddy and fizzy and harsh all at once lol

I´ll share a trick i do with every re-amp/guitar recording: 1 sm57, on axis to the tip/center of the cone, about an inch away from the grill cloth. Ofcourse, you have to know which speaker sounds best before positioning. Then,... I put all amp setting to 12 o clock and start with the bass/resonance first, then highs, mids, and so on... As soon as i got a great tone that i dig i would pan the guitar hard left, then i open up a 7 band EQ and usually HPF/LPF at around 60-85Hz and 11-12kHz (that gets rid of the ugly fizz and makes it sound "warmer" and smoother to the ear).
After the EQ i insert the C4-Multibandcompressor and usually only drop the bass threshold pretty low down to keep the low-end under control.
Try it out bro!

I might give it a shot reamping with my axefx, i've just heard the DI tracks and there are a couple of pretty loud clicks at the start of the tracks, and it seems as though the di track is kinda hot.