Reamping will kill me....really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TonyS.

www.SoundCollab.com | www.risingstorm-music.com
Feb 13, 2010
Berlin
www.soundcollab.com
:loco::devil::Smokedev::heh:

Hey guys,
today my order with a radial x amp, rmp pro and a daccapo arrived.
I was comparing the 3 boxes and after some reamps I wanted to test the x-amp one more time.

This was my fail......when I messed arround with the gain stetting and lift/ground knob, my amp dropped out and I got a fucking heavy electric shock. from the metal case of the x-amp.

:OMG:WWWHHHHHHYYYY? After the shock the amp turned on again.

My chain: Focusrite Saffire 56-->Radial X amp-->Engl e530-->Engl 840-->4x12
Before, I did some reamps with this Chain: Saffire 56-->Xamp(or the other 2)-->Blackmore / e530 ----effect send---> LineInput Saffire 56

I was suprised that this chain was very noisy, whereas the boxes were on lift-mode.(especially the first output of the x-amp)

Can anybody of you help me to find the mistake, please? Im feared of killing my amps or me.:mad:

cimg6171.jpg

Hmm some kind of weird grounding issue. Does your preamp/poweramp have ground lift switches on the back?

Yes, the poweramp from Engl...Its on ground...The grouding issue should also be the reason for the freaking noise....sometimes I heard, besides the 50Hz tone, a click/ cracksound.

Honestly I wouldn't know where to start looking for the issue. So many variables. But from what it sounds like, when you touched the case and got the shock, you drained all the power caps. That's pretty bad if that's what it was. I don't think you got a whole 500v, but it's still scary.

Honestly I wouldn't know where to start looking for the issue. So many variables. But from what it sounds like, when you touched the case and got the shock, you drained all the power caps. That's pretty bad if that's what it was. I don't think you got a whole 500v, but it's still scary.

Hey in germany we have 230V and I think this was the full voltage...got a a few schocks at work:rolleyes:...

@ahjteam

I will test....but I dont think the reason is the X-amp. I hope its not the interface.

Forgot one more crazy thing.

-----> I just took the cable between Xamp and Amp out of the Xamp and was able to get the sound of the interface without physically connection!!!!!!! I was able to hear the guitar in a "good" level, just while holding the cable with a distance til 10cm to the box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you understand what I want to say!
boxg.jpg

remember touch the cable end with the back of your hand, because your grip is really powerful when electrocuted.

call me old-fashioned, but isn't it safer to test it with a voltage meter?

@Wolfeman: how could a grounding issue lead to this? where does the voltage come from?

@Wolfeman: how could a grounding issue lead to this? where does the voltage come from?

It could be coming from the wall, from one of the amps, who knows. If an electrical path likes you as the ground better, it will make you the ground, so to speak.

I took the E530 completly out of the racks und used it aigain with daccapo and x-amp. No problems by now...also suprised about the cheaper daccapo....its much quiter and very clear. Expensive Xamp vs. daccapo --> daccapo wins.

Tomorrow I will test all the other rack/amp gear of contact between a conductor and live wire / case.

Will report.

bear in mind that if there is a problem in any tube device it is perfectly possible to not find a short between live and earth and still kill yourself. The voltages in a most tube amps are in fact higher than mains voltage

Sorry not much time yet.
I did the test yesterday and wraped the other boxes, allready. But when it helps you, I couldnt hear a sound difference all in all, it was just the reason that the radial producst were a bit more noisy! So why I wouldnt chose the cheaper Plamer? ... maybe becuase I can use to amps at the same time with the X-amp. But then I also could buy a second Palmer. It would be cheaper as well!

Forgot one more crazy thing.

-----> I just took the cable between Xamp and Amp out of the Xamp and was able to get the sound of the interface without physically connection!!!!!!! I was able to hear the guitar in a "good" level, just while holding the cable with a distance til 10cm to the box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you understand what I want to say!
boxg.jpg

WTF!? be careful man...