Reaper 3 Trying To Murder My Monitors

Line666

Fendurr
Sep 2, 2006
In the last hour I've had two glitches on Reaper that have pumped the master up to +510db on either monitor. Either left or right channel.

Seems random, can't figure out whats doing it, damn things also frozen twice in the last hour, first time I lost the project I was recording, second time I'd prepared but it killed my whole pc and I had to do a restart. Its usually when I start playback from the start of the track.

I've only been using EzDrummer, the Glitch vst, and Simuanalog JCM900 with TSS and EQ on a few channels.

I just shat a brick ten minutes ago when it seemed to kill my right woofer on my KRK, I could physically see the damn thing move and then it stopped playing guitar on the right speaker, so I just exited then shoved Spotify on to check it over and thankfully its still working, but jesus christ, never had any shit like this before on 2.53 etc.

Just tried to start it up again and the first time it crashed starting up, the second time its not detecting the ASIO driver.

This is the first time I've actually sat and recorded shit since the upgrade to really use Reaper, so naturally I'm a bit spooked at the moment to use it again, cos yknow I'd quite like to not blow up my speakers. :zombie:

Anyone have any ideas, cos all I've heard is good things about Reaper 3's stability, and what I'm having is just the complete opposite.

Edit: Shit wrong forum, woops >_>

Think I found my culprit for anyone thats interested...

Downgraded my version of Reaper back to 2.58, that still had the same problem, I started checking with my speakers off and this is what I was getting when it was opening up:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9871/culprit.jpg

+691.5dB is a bit of a feckin speaker killer. Just a tiny little bit.

So I ran through various plugins to check what was doing it, turns out it was the Requietus visual version of Simuanalogs JCM900:

http://requietus.blogspot.com/2008/12/simulanalog-guitar-suite-gui.html

Now I dunno why, but something must have changed in the code of that cos I've just gone back to the non visual one and its working fine with no crazy glitches killing my sound anymore.

So yeah, anyone that was thinking of using that plug, watch out, that shit is lethal.

well, you should post an issue like this in the reaper forum. maybe also contact the author, as it's clear he's doing something wrong with his plugin.

to be honest though, i wouldn't be too worried about spikes of 700dB, because for your soundcard to actually send that to the speakers, would be an instantaneous voltage of several trillion volts (actually, many orders of magnitude greater than even that!), which i think we can both safely agree, that the voltages are not being produced in your computer :p

i'd be suprised if an audio interface could send more than 5v out, which out to a power amp, into a speaker, would be quite a huge pop, wouldn't be disastrous