Reaper Bug?

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
When I'm editing drums in reaper, two things I don't like start to happen:

1) After a while, everything reacts very slowly to what I'm doing.. I do tab to transient, and whenever I get about half way done with a drum track, I'll do CLICK, TAB, B (Slice)... But reaper does not keep up with me... It's fucking annoying because sometimes it will lead to slicing in the wrong spots.. Which leads me to my next problem..

2) When I'm editing drums, I can only undo things 3 times max! If I do more than 3, then it erases all of the edits I've done in the project, and I have to hit "redo" and fix everything manually so I dont' have to start over.

Well problem number one I've never had, I'm assuming it has something to do with your PC specs?

Problem number 2 I've also never had, but I know you can set the number of allowed undo points in the preferences. I wonder if this has to do with your specs as well?

Yes I am.

Did Adam finally not do something perfect?!

I went back to a default installation and so far I haven't had any issues. I loved everything else about Adam's changes but I had random problems with MIDI and the issue you mentioned.

are you editing multiple songs in one session? I've had no problems doing drum editing on the internal drive of my macbook. Not slow at all. PT gets slow past around 5,000 edits and unbelievably slow past 12,000 edits.

without your system specs and session settings it's hard for us to guess what the problem is.

Problem number 2 is a preference:

undohistory.png

You probably have that set to like 20mb, that was the old default setting. 20mb only holds like 3 snapshots of the project once it's full of edits because the project file is like 6mb. Crank that shit.

For problem one, you might try going to Preferences and on the Playback tab under Audio uncheck Run FX when stopped. I usually do this while editing drums. I have no trouble making thousands of edits to an 8 minute song. When I have Run FX checked, I will start to experience your problem.

Problems fixed!

Problem one is still happening a tiny amount, but runs MUCH smoother. Thanks guys :)

Reaper sometimes slows down on me too or gets all laggy/choppy on playback, but that's usually because of some VSTi (tried muting some of the tracks and it stopped) or because I don't have all the media saved on my HD, maybe that could be it?

Back again.

It's been working quite well.. However, NOW, sometimes if I even hit undo, random tracks get deleted???