Reaper pains

clarbaden

Jan 26, 2009
Sup bros wonder if you can help, I am currently having problems with Reaper, its spluttering and stuttering on playback and monitering, and my cpu has 4 gigs or ram? whats going on?

Or change the buffersize of your audio interface to a higher amount. 256spls or even higher.

edit:
Changed the word 'samplerate' to buffersize, since sample rate is something totally different.

That'll cause latency if you go too high though, I never had any issues running 128 on my laptop with an intel i5 2.27ghz (several instances of lecto at x4 oversampling, SD2 and so on) so my first guess would be a bunch of FX hogging all the cpu.

More info needed.

What kind of interface ?
Latest ASIO drivers installed ?
Is it stuttering on high CPU load only, or always ?
How many tracks ?

im using a tapco link usb interface, im using WDM Kernel Streaming audio system because that was the default it assigned to reaper by my interface, I switched to Asio4all and i didnt make any difference, I am running 33 tracks, slate drums with 16 outputs and some dead tracks that arnt being used, 4 tracks of tse x50 guitars, and 4 tracks of tse x50 for a different section, one bass track that has a ton of proccesing because its pitched guitar and 2 vocal tracks. And its CPu overload thats causing with problem.

I get the same problem when running a lot of tracks with FX. Bounce/render the FX to the tracks and that way it'll save CPU. Sucks because you can't really go in and tweak settings after its rendered but you can always just go back after you do your mixing etc.

Apparently the TSE X50 is quite heavy on CPU and not very optimised (since it's beta), so running 8 instances of that could slow you down dramatically.

Does anybody know if there is a quick way to go back to the pre-rendered track, AFTER its been rendered, without having to either open a new session or any of that? I heard you can freeze/unfreeze in other DAWs but can you do that in Reaper?

Does anybody know if there is a quick way to go back to the pre-rendered track, AFTER its been rendered, without having to either open a new session or any of that? I heard you can freeze/unfreeze in other DAWs but can you do that in Reaper?

I personnaly right clic and create new take with FX or something like that. Then disable the FX chain.

I changed the Asio driver and increased the buffer size which has helped alot, also the Tse x50 was raping me so im disabling the fx until the song is finished, then i will bounce the tracks, thanks alot for the help dudes :]

4 tracks of tse x50 guitars, and 4 tracks of tse x50 for a different section, one bass track that has a ton of proccesing because its pitched guitar

Render these tracks and offline all these plugins :)

REAPERS best quality pitch shifting algorithms aren't meant to be used live.