Reaper Question

Why the hell would you buy the commercial license Erkan? o_O

Because I would like to have the freedom to produce something commercially if I got the opportunity. I have produced a little jingle once that was aired on radio... but that was a couple years ago and with cracked software. I didn't care much back then but now I do so...

... that's why :)

Ive just mixed a 68 channel EP with my band with a bunch of plugins, both VST, AU and DXi and we peaked at 25% CPU usage.
Something seems really strange with your project, ask the guys at the Reaper forum.

Ive just mixed a 68 channel EP with my band with a bunch of plugins, both VST, AU and DXi and we peaked at 25% CPU usage.
Something seems really strange with your project, ask the guys at the Reaper forum.

I will hit up the Reaper guys.

I think my scenario is a little different though. As I mentioned in one of my last posts, the CPU spikes seems to be due to the channel routing and bussing, and not due to the number of plugins. If I remove all my aux sends, the CPU spike go away and I just have 60% CPU utilization upon playback.

That being said, I still only have the drums loaded in Reaper, and have not loaded the guitars bass vox and keys. In Cubase, the drums alone are running at about 35% CPU. On my PC, Reaper uses a lot more CPU to run DFHS 2.0 and DFHS 1.0 than Cubase does. The performance breakdown has 15-25% just for DFHS 2.0 alone. That doesn't seem right at all.

So bottom line, I think I've got this narrowed down to aux send inefficiency and poor VST instrument utilization.

I usually average 30-40 tracks and 2-4 effects per track.....I never really see over 50% on my AMD 2.6 quadcore in Reaper.

And that includes between 3-6 instances of Revalver3....which eat up between 2-4% each!!!

but, I never tried importing from another DAW....

I transferred a project I was working on in Cubase SX3 over to Reaper to have a crack at mixing it there, but so far Reaper is handling the massive amount of plugins and VST instruments very badly.

CPU utilization has already peaked 100% for drums only! I haven't even loaded the guitars, bass, keyboards and vocal tracks and plugins yet. In Cubase, I can run the drums and all other instruments together and the CPU is not even maxed.

So something has to be wrong here. I have tried fruitlessly to scour the manual, alter buffer settings, multiple CPU settings, project settings, etc. I can't even get the drum tracks to play without stuttering unless I disable some effects. I wanted to really give Reaper a go despite how clumsy I am with it before I go on and buy Cubase 5.

Can anyone offer assistance?

Which version of reaper are you using? If your trying out an alpha version of 3.0 it could be the issue.

Splat.... sometime ago, a plugin crashed my Reaper when i was working some project....... this project even with few plugs has become so much heavier that i had to erase and import all tracks again.... at least works for me.....

PS: another thing is the the buffer size..... even with the most fast machine the plugin's buffers must be respected..... for an example, to have a Waves L316 in your project YOU NEED to have at least 2048 buffer samples.... if you use less, even with only one track, you could have glitches, "plics" and "plocs" on your sound....

Splat, why do you use dfhs 2.0 and 1.0 too? In 2.0 you can use the samples of other drum plugins, so you can use the cymbals and hihat from 1.0 if you prefer those. I think it's called x-drums in 2.0
Have you tried that using only one instance of dfhs with the same routing? Maybe there is some fuckup in using 1.0 and 2.0 both in the same project.

Splat, why do you use dfhs 2.0 and 1.0 too? In 2.0 you can use the samples of other drum plugins, so you can use the cymbals and hihat from 1.0 if you prefer those. I think it's called x-drums in 2.0
Have you tried that using only one instance of dfhs with the same routing? Maybe there is some fuckup in using 1.0 and 2.0 both in the same project.

Because I don't want the crashes to be mixed in with the room drum sounds. I can't reroute them internally to different channels because I'm using all 16 outputs in DFHS 2.0 for drums only. Plus I've got a ton of cymbal presets from DFHS 1.0 that I'm still using for different songs.